12.1" Camera Integration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my pursuit to retain my blindspot/front camera I have decided to start with thread to track my progress.

There are several unknowns at this point:

#1 how the radio is removed
#2 what harness the radio uses
#3 if it can be integrated with the same as the 8.4 from the DS.

While I have been searching for a few days, I unofficially confirmed my suspicion that the harness is the same as previous years and radios. Upon Maestro's website for Radio Replacement, the 12.1" with HK is listed as compatible and using the same harness as the 2013-2018.

Next steps are to find a tech doc to remove the radio, and then test interface pieces.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I played with removing the bezel and just didn't feel quite comfortable with it yet. The old bezels had the screen attached to the dash, where this is attached to the bezel it's self. Even using plastic trim tools, the amount of pressure being applied did not make me feel comfortable. I tried getting my fingers under the bottom, but realized I would be pulling against the screen and could damage it, so quickly trashed that idea.

Will address it when I get some more free time.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I got the bezel removed and the radio out. The BCI-CH41 plugs in and the radio functions but the unit does not work. Looks like it will need a firmware update.

On a side note - when I unplugged the radio I lost many features from the factory. I did the software update after this, which fixed everything. At this time I cannot recommend anyone to remove their radio.

I will get some pictures up shortly though.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s funny as when I come back on Friday I had already planned on pulling my radio to see what’s needed to add a front camera. Good to know I should hold off for now on this.