2001 dodge ram 1500 black smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venom70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So new to community own dodge ram for 2 years

So I bought this dodge ram 1500 5.7 Magnum Laramie have 130k miles on it. I put tires on it and Catholic converter. Was clogged and I got emissions so I cut it out and put a pive where it was truck ran great sounds good. One day I got bad gas and ever since my truck pop code saying power bank 1 and 2 is running lean. I was told my Injectors, so I put new injectors in it. That was 900 bucks and still have problem this is my main vehicle for work everything I keep asking around becase I am ok mechanic not best and after taking it to 3 mechanic and 1800 later still same. So what do I do straight pipe it from headers and back and chip it or pay 1800 for Cattle converter and put it back in.
I could sell it and let someone else deal with it but I have 156k miles on it with brand new rear end on it like to keep it and give it to my step sons when I get a 2500 or 3500 one

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black smoke is usually an indication that it's running rich. If the catalytic converter is not there then the oxygen sensors will not read correctly. Because they aren't reading correctly they will tell the computer to make the necessary adjustments which will be wrong because they are reading the correct information