66RFE valve body replacement. Is PCM flash necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Erb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My vehicle is a 2018 ram 2500 HEMI. The truck goes into limp mode intermittently; once after driving 3 hours on the interstate without stopping, once when pulling a heavy load in town traffic, once when hitting passing gear, etc. It also has hard shifts intermittently. It finally threw error code P0871 which points at the valve body. I am having my valve body replaced by a local repair shop using a SONNAX valve body. The question I have is; will the PCM need programmed/flashed after the replacement? If you've experienced this, please give me any advice that you think is pertinent.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bill,

They reflashed by 66RFE (I have a 2016 Hemi 2500) after they replaced the solenoid pack under recall. They also reflashed after transmission service (fluid / filters). Most likely yes.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
For a valvebody replacement all is needed is memory cleared and a Relearn will have to be performed. It's not a "flash" but instead it's a procedure for the TCM so it can readjust to the new parts. You can use a good scanner or ALFAOBD to do a Quicklearn . It's under "Transmission ".

Screenshot_20240419_124302_AlfaOBD.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bill Erb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you Richard and 18crewdually. I an not replacing the solenoid pack, just the valve body. I will reinstall same solenoid pack on rebuild valve body. I'm not familiar with clearing memory or relearn procedures. What I don't want to do is clear memory that will require a flash/reprogram..