Considering a Hemi Powered 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V-8 Hemi
I bought my 2500 about a year ago. 15,000 miles so far and no problems at all. We primarily use it to tow a travel trailer. Averages about 11 when towing and about 17 on the freeway without a load at 65 to 70. I couldn't justify the extra cost at purchase and the maintenance of the diesel. When I bought, there wasn't much inventory out there. Probably better now. Good luck and enjoy!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m in my 3rd 2500 with a 6.4. The first was a 2014. I traded it with 145,000 miles and never had any issues. I bought a 2018 and just traded it for a 24 Ram 2500. It had 209,000 miles. No motor issues with than truck either. I use Mobil 1 and change it when it comes up on dash or at 10,000 miles. I towed up to 15,000lbs. I would not hesitate to buy a 6.4.
For your 2018, I'll assume you use it for work with you putting 35,000 miles a year on it. I've had my 2023 for a little over a year and I just topped 6000 miles - and that includes a 1500 mile cross-country trip.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At the end of the day everything has a risk to ownership. If you want it, get it and drive the heck out of it.

I've owned 7 Fords with the 5.4 Triton motor and never once had a cam phaser issue but if you look online they're everywhere.

I owned ONE Expedition with the ecoboost and the 10 speed and as luck would have it, we got the raw end on the trans failing. Many swear by that 10spd though.

My Durango nor my Rubicon ever had one single issue though many swear the 3.6 is plagued.

It's luck of the draw. Do the maintenance and drive it. I always keep a nest egg back "just in case" there is a problem that I have to pay to fix later.

Find me a product built by man with no flaws and I'll pay whatever price they want for it. Just doesn't happen.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
At the end of the day everything has a risk to ownership. If you want it, get it and drive the heck out of it.""

I've owned 7 Fords with the 5.4 Triton motor and never once had a cam phaser issue but if you look online they're everywhere.

I owned ONE Expedition with the ecoboost and the 10 speed and as luck would have it, we got the raw end on the trans failing. Many swear by that 10spd though.

My Durango nor my Rubicon ever had one single issue though many swear the 3.6 is plagued.

It's luck of the draw. Do the maintenance and drive it. I always keep a nest egg back "just in case" there is a problem that I have to pay to fix later.

Find me a product built by man with no flaws and I'll pay whatever price they want for it. Just doesn't happen.
"It's luck of the draw."

No. People with problems post. People without problems don't.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I'm currently in a 2019 F-150 that has had a few issues it shouldn't have had: cam phasers; some weird electrical problems

It's current running well, but I no longer trust it. I'm thinking about getting back into a Ram 2500 after 8 years away. I'd love a diesel, but I just cannot justify the price and maintenance. I'll never pull any thing heavier than a 9,000# travel trailer, and then only occasion. The rest of the time it's daily driver or a utility trailer to Home Depot. It seems that a Hemi powered one makes the most sense.

I'd like to plan to keep the truck for 10 to 15 years, but I'm concerned about the lifter issues. Have they ever fixed it, or is that a problem that is always lurking out there?
I've got a 2007 Cummins manual trans. it's been great but I don't really need one anymore. The Hemi's pull up and sound so good and the automatic's looking good too. What was the last year of a column shifter on a 1500.? I learn a lot about gassers mainly on this site. Thanks.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like my 6.4 2500. 80% of the miles I put on it are towing, it's right for that job. If yours will be a grocery-getter usually and never tow over 10k the 5.7 might be fine, and save you some fuel.

I did have some engine trouble at 90k miles and when I pulled it out the cam and a lifter were starting to go. It had been ticking audibly. But I have no idea how the previous owner maintained the thing. As others have said, it's partly luck and partly maintenance.

I'd get another one, I like the truck. Do the oil changes regularly, and if you get a 6.4 be sure to use the special oil for it.

Frank Titus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had 2 Cummins; they are fine! I'm on my second Power Wagon 2500, '16, & now '23 Rebel 2500, first year for 2500 Rebel. I ordered it with 4:10 diffs. Those tall 20" wheels gear it up enough. With the lighter hemi, over the Cummins, it drives, & rides more like a 1/2 ton. Enjoy!

AxleFolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I opted for a bit of a safety factor with regards to the tow capacity shown on the charts and avoided the Power Wagons (which always showed lower capacities) and looked for the more capable 4.10 axle ratio. I found dealer ads to be unreliable, so I always checked the VIN of prospective trucks through https://fcagroup.my.site.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing to confirm.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
"It's luck of the draw."

No. People with problems post. People without problems don't.
You just proved my point. You don't know if you're going to buy a truck that will run for 200k miles with no issues or buy one that will flop before 30k. Some people never see the issues that others post about. Most of those are not in forums complaining because they have no reason to.

So.... as I said before, if you want it get it and drive it. You can't know if the specific truck you buy has a problem or not until you get it. It is in fact, luck of the draw. Hedge your bets as best you can with preventative maintenance but if it's made by humans it is flawed and at risk to fail. It is what it is.