Engine hours/oil change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bocaloco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every hour idling you should add 30 miles to your total miles when trying to factor how many miles for an oil change.

Me, well I’m different from most because I want my vehicles to last. My F250, I changed the oil every 3K miles faithfully. With my new 3500 I’ll be doing the same. I now have 1700 miles on it and will do the first oil change at 2K to get the break in crap out but will then go to a strict 3K change interval. I don’t tow anything but my ego, and the most weight I’ll have in the truck will be the wife, 2 paddle boards and 2 dogs.

VOwens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I worked for a major oil company on the North Slope of Alaska for many years. Up there in the long winters our diesel-powered trucks were left to idle extensively because not all locations had electrical bullrails to plug into where the trucks could be shut off. The company was actually certified as a warranty service center for Ford and then Chevrolet. The company worked with those two vehicle manufacturers to determine how many engine idle hours equated to a driving mile. Maintenance timing was then calculated for every vehicle based on a combination of actual odometer miles plus idle hours (converted to miles). Unfortunately, I cannot recall the conversion number for idle hours to equivalent driving miles. The short answer to your question is yes, idle hours does affect engine oil life. You might try asking that question of Ram though I doubt any Lower 48 dealer would have a clue. When in doubt change the oil...after all it is the lifeblood of your engine. Why mess around with it!!

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t drive much, but my engine does idle more than it’s driving.
I drive approximately 3000 miles every six months, but my engine, idle hours, including both idle and driving time, are approximately 220 to 230 total engine hours in that same time frame of six months. I was planning on changing my oil at eight months and around 4000 miles. I use a quality full synthetic oil in my 2023, ram 5.7 hemi. My question is, should I consider doing it sooner strictly due to my somewhat elevated total of engine hours. Also, does anyone know if the factory could possibly void my engine warranty strictly due to engine hours, even though my miles and time are within the requirement??
Is the oil still sticky when you pull the dipstick?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 Eco-diesel, reads, 2300 miles since the last Oil & Filter change.
My OIL LIFE sensor Light just came on
EVIC has message to see Dealer for OIL CHANGE

I see this message at least 3 times a year
All of my trips are short, most are 7 miles to the Hospital, go to see a Doctor & return home.

I just bought an Oil Filter at the Dealership Parts Department
On the box that it came in, it reads
MADE IN CHINA

I read that to the Parts Guys & they denied it & i showed it to them

1717647700672.jpeg

By the way, after 3 years, i had my camera repaired :)
Batteries corroded way back in 2020, when i first got sick

Look at the clarity, you can even read this post :)

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
Interesting thread. I only drive 10kkm a year and change somewhere at the oil shop around 4500 kmiles or so. Interestingly Valvoline bought the oil shop i've been going to for years (great canadian oil) and recommend every 3000 mi regular oil or 5000 for synthetic which at the time they mentioned it seemed a bit opportunistic of them. I've started using lubeguard biotech and after the next oil change will probably grow up and go synthetic.....but i'm curious as to how often to change synthetic as some people on this forum suggest 7500 miles is okay and much of the literature says 10000 miles. So any input is appreciated. I used to work for a dealership way back when and it was common practice of the dealership to save brand boxes and put in jobber parts....example a few years ago in Kamloops my kid got a clogged injector on Sunday and he had to go home. The auto repair place sent me to a diesel repair shop who took the injector and put it in one of those vibrating jeweler cleaning devices till the crap came out of the injector and then did a test on it. On the table he had about a hundred used injectors and used brand boxes for all the vehicle manufacturers....he cleaned the old injector and placed new plastic caps on them and slipped them into the brand box and returned them to the dealer to sell as new.......every day he says to me.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The part that really hurts:
The Chinese MOPAR oil filter cost was $130. US with Tax

Bought at a Mopar Dodge Dealership in Southern California

Well, this tracks. My dealer wanted $70 for a Mopar air filter.

They didn't get it. Not from me anyway.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
MOPAR OIL FILTER ... for the 3.0L Eco-diesel is made in CHINA
At the Dodge dealership Parts Dept. , cost was $120.52 plus Tax
That comes to about $130.00

Compared to a WIX brand filter for the 3.0L = about $35
That's not what I'm seeing. $68.69 plus shipping ($13.70 to my house). Still too expensive, but I'm not seeing the price you listed for a Mopar filter...

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That is insane! I thought I read that wrong. Good lord what are they thinking.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the oil filter that the Dodge Parts Dept. sold me is a
A303B 68492616AA Filter-EN

it is for a 2016 Ram ecodiesel

california dealerships are money hungry

this is the price through Geno's Garage, where ever they are located

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Change your oil every 5,000 miles, use a quality synthetic and
you will be good to go. Minimize jackrabbit starts and don't be an
ape on the brakes, this is in the owners manual.

No reason to overthink it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Still too much by 300%.