Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graycoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2012 1500 st.
Seems like it burning a little more gas than it should.
New spark plugs,don't seem any better on gas.no code,engine idles and runs fine

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say it’s burning a little more gas than it should can you quantify what you are experiencing? Like did your mpg drop from 16mpg to 10mpg? Or is it a mile or two less than a few months or years ago? The truck is 11 years old and average mileage would put you well over 100K. Efficiency decreases with age and wear. Start with the easy basic stuff first. Is the air filter clean? PCV valve working as intended? Tried a fuel additive to clean the injectors? Ever cleaned the throttle body? Most drops in mpg over the years are a combination of small items that degrade with age. Driving style and idle time along with outside temperature and quality of fuel also play a factor.

OP
OP
G

Graycoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Has 59006 miles
Old couple had it, took care of it,garage kept,looks new.they never hauled anything heavy. V6,mpg seems to be dropping.
Two cans sea foam so far ‍♂️.
What's PSV.WHEN TEMP OUTSDE went down to 43° one night,did hear loud sucking air draw on cold start twice two morning
Losing about 5to 8 gals mpg seems like

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has 59006 miles
Old couple had it, took care of it,garage kept,looks new.they never hauled anything heavy. V6,mpg seems to be dropping.
Two cans sea foam so far ‍♂️.
What's PSV.WHEN TEMP OUTSDE went down to 43° one night,did hear loud sucking air draw on cold start twice two morning
Losing about 5to 8 gals mpg seems like
The PCV valve is positive crankcase ventilation valve, it’s part of the emission control system and ventilates the crankcase from blow by. If it’s clogged it will decrease your mpg. I’m not sure what V6 you have but if it’s the 3.6L you can open the hood and look at the far back end of the engine on the passenger side. It’s a PITA to get to on the 3.6 but it’s a metal 5/8 inch nut connected to a hose. Best to look it up on the web to find it. It simply screws out (not a lot of room to work because of location) and the new one screws in. Replace the air filter if it’s dirty. Dirty air filters decrease mpg more than you may assume. On an 11 year old vehicle the throttle body needs to be cleaned. It’s best to remove it from the truck so you can get the back side of the plate. This can be tricky because some throttle bodies need to be “relearned” if you move the throttle plate manually. I’m not familiar with the 3.6 or 3.2 throttle body so you may need a scan tool to reset it or find on YouTube the reset process.

Two cans of seafoam where? In the gas tank? Crankcase? Intake manifold? Seafoam does have cleaning properties but is best as an intake cleaner. I personally wouldn’t use it in the oil and it’s not a great fuel system cleaner. If you are putting it in the gas tank try something with PEA as a cleaning additive in your gas tank. Chevron Techron Concentrate is much better at cleaning fuel injectors.

OP
OP
G

Graycoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Seafoam in gas
Gonna go replace pcv today,I got enough room to change it.
Thanks for thr help,post results in a couple days to see if that's what it was. Later

OP
OP
G

Graycoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Put new pcv in yesterday, mpg went up alot, acceleration take off alot better,idle even got better even though idle seemed fine.

Old one was gummed up really bad,
Still had original pcv in it.
You were right, bad PCV.

Thanks

Saved me alot of searching and or a huge repair bill

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m not sure what V6 you have but if it’s the 3.6L
The first year for the 3.6L V6 in the Ram was 2013, it also will only have an 8HP transmission behind it so the truck will have a shift knob on the dash. Most likely the OP has a 3.7L V6 and a 66RFE transmission with column or console shifter.