load knocking sound when reversing while applying the brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I attached a couple video links to my google drive of what I hear...one I took a a few days ago during the day (you can hear the loud knocking sound at about 2-3secs) and another one I took last night that you can hear a few times when I'm reversing.

I've noticed that this mainly happens when I'm applying the brake when going in reverse, but I do hear it sometimes when I'm going forward. This doesn't seem to happen when I'm driving and braking though.

Any ideas on what it may be?

I had a frame job done (had to get a new frame put on) a few months ago and thats when this started happening.

video 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J2sztCeoJ_TWZKMmtpUm9jZm8/view?usp=sharing

video 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J2sztCeoJ_TU92QTZlTmlPdFk/view?usp=sharing

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Have you already brought this to your dealership's (or body shop's) attention? If this is of concern, I would recommend obtaining an official diagnosis from your local servicing dealership. Please let me know if you would like assistance in scheduling an appointment. I'd be happy to help.

Stlram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had what sounds like the same noise after I installed my 6" lift. Check all the bolts in the rear of the truck that attach to the 4 link suspension and other suspension components. I had a couple bolts that had loosened up enough that I could grab the lower bar that attaches next to the rear shock and wiggle it making what is a popping noise right after take off and coming to a stop when the rear axle flexes. I can't remember what the nut size is but I used a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten them up. Haven't had the noise since but I also went out and bought some high strength thread locker in case it happens again.

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had what sounds like the same noise after I installed my 6" lift. Check all the bolts in the rear of the truck that attach to the 4 link suspension and other suspension components. I had a couple bolts that had loosened up enough that I could grab the lower bar that attaches next to the rear shock and wiggle it making what is a popping noise right after take off and coming to a stop when the rear axle flexes. I can't remember what the nut size is but I used a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten them up. Haven't had the noise since but I also went out and bought some high strength thread locker in case it happens again.

I've had the same issue as stated above.