My 2014 Sport consuming oil????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2014 Sport 5.7 Hemi with about 18,000 miles on it. A few months back I just had a whim to check the oil level and to my surprise it was almost a quart low. I just thought that maybe I didn’t fill it all the way up on my last oil change….I always change my own oil. Just the other day I checked it again and surprise surprise, it’s about a quart low again. Damnit…now I know the oil is going somewhere. I don’t see any leaks at all. I never see smoke out the tailpipe, but to be honest I never really looked….i will now. So, it looks like I’m losing about a quart for every 3,000 miles. What do you guys think about that? I’ve had a lot of new cars and trucks and none of them needed quarts added in-between oil changes, so this has me a little pissed off. I know that most manufactures say something ridiculous like 1 quart for every 1,000-2,000 miles is “normal”….I don’t agree with that. I have an appointment next week anyway for the 3 safety recalls, so I added this oil consumption to the list. I use 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum and change it about every 8,000 miles. Do you think that if I switched to 5w-20 that it might consume less?? I like running 0w because it gets cold here (Buffalo, NY) in the winters.

This Ram truck has been a nightmare for me….worst quality out of any vehicle I’ve ever owned. I have a huge list of warrant repairs in the last year and a half....so bad that Ram extended my warranty for free several months ago. It sucks because I actually like the truck still…..somehow.

Last edited:

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father has the same problem with his nissan armada with their 5.6L engine. We are almost certain it's due to bad valve seals. After a long drive and it sits for a while when you start it up, it's a smoke show for a few seconds. We are going to throw some BG 109 and see if it helps. He's all ready talked to his platinum extended coverage provider and if needed they will do a tear down of the engine.

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/bg-109-the-best-repair-product-is-a-maintenance-product/

You add it to your oil and then drive around a bit and change your oil right after.

It gets cold here in Massachusetts during the winter last year a few days were -30 and -40 and had no problems with 5w20 synthetic.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A quart for 3k miles is considered completely normal. My favorite vehicle ever that I drove for 11 years ate somewhere close to that. 11 years and never had any engine problems, but I added a qrt everytime at 3k and changed the oil every 6k. You might want to use 5w30 or 0w30 and an oil with a low NOACK like Redline or Penzoil ultra, the lowest evap oils you can get. But you are probably losing it through the PCV, get a catch can and you can see if that is your problem spot. However, some guys get vehicles that seam not to burn off any oil, but some guys like me and you get what we get, the engine is completely fine unless there is something else going on.

LOl, dude they extended your warranty for free, that is the coolest **** I ever heard. Give it a chance, mise well just drive it as long as you have a warranty, maybe your bad luck will stop.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1q for 3k miles is just fine. Don't sweat it. Chrysler spec is 1q per 1k. There is actually a tsb for the hellcat saying that under aggressive driving, 1q per 500 miles is acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A quart for 3k miles is considered completely normal. My favorite vehicle ever that I drove for 11 years ate somewhere close to that. 11 years and never had any engine problems, but I added a qrt everytime at 3k and changed the oil every 6k. You might want to use 5w30 or 0w30 and an oil with a low NOACK like Redline or Penzoil ultra, the lowest evap oils you can get. But you are probably losing it through the PCV, get a catch can and you can see if that is your problem spot. However, some guys get vehicles that seam not to burn off any oil, but some guys like me and you get what we get, the engine is completely fine unless there is something else going on.

Yeah, I was/am just annoyed since this is the 1st new vehicle I've had that consumed oil like this. I thought about switching to 5w-30, but I've heard not so great things happening in regards to the MDS. I'm going to switch from 0w to 5w on the next upcoming oil change in about 1,500 miles and see if that matters. I would love to get Pennzoil Ultra, but I cannot find that stuff anywhere around here...I've been looking for a while. I thought about also putting a catch can on but didn't for two reasons, 1) didn't want to risk it with a denied warranty claim 2) I live where it gets wicked cold (well below 0F) and people I know around here have to empty them every 300 miles or less due to the condensation filling them up s fast.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOl, dude they extended your warranty for free, that is the coolest **** I ever heard. Give it a chance, mise well just drive it as long as you have a warranty, maybe your bad luck will stop.

Yeah, I have a long rap sheet with this truck and one day I was like "I need to call Chrysler and see if they would do anything before I try to lemon law it". So they gave me Care Plus for 5yrs/100,000 miles (I'll hit 5yrs 1st) for free. I'm thinking after this next dealership visit, where i have 5 more warranty claims and the 3 safety recalls, that I might call them back up and push for the Max Care extended warranty instead! lol

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was going through oil as well, but my engine's modified. A switch to 5W-30 Redline cured my oil consumption issues and there is no issue whatsoever running a 30 weight, it's even in your owner's manual that 5W-30 is acceptable. Your driving style will greatly affect the amount of consumption; if it's not fully warmed up, you are heavy on the accelerator, or you drive at a lot of low rpms/stop & go then you'll have a lot higher oil consumption.

Reactions: SyN

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the same engine but I had the same issue with my 3.8L V6 in my Grand Caravan. I had another one before that with the same engine (2002) and it never took more than half a qt after 5000km. The 02 required 5w30, but the 07 required 5w20 and discovered that the switched from 5w30 to 5w20 was only to get "better" MPG. I switched back to 5w30 and the problem went away.

Also if you look at the manual they require 5w30 for the 5.7 in the 2500

Engine Oil – 5.7L Engine 2500/3500
trucks operating under a gross combined
weight rating greater than
14,000 lbs/(6,350 kg.)

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the same engine but I had the same issue with my 3.8L V6 in my Grand Caravan. I had another one before that with the same engine (2002) and it never took more than half a qt after 5000km. The 02 required 5w30, but the 07 required 5w20 and discovered that the switched from 5w30 to 5w20 was only to get "better" MPG. I switched back to 5w30 and the problem went away.

Also if you look at the manual they require 5w30 for the 5.7 in the 2500

I'm pretty sure the 2500 trucks don't have MDS. It's the MDS that the 5w-30 messes with.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
5W-30 has been in my 5.7L crankcase for the past 4,215 miles with no issues. 3/4 of these miles were highway / interstate 65-80 mph... Not one issue!

I personally feel my 5.7L responds very well with the 5W-30... Very responsive / Very Smooth / Very Quiet!
No issues with the MDS... As of my 116 mile drive Friday evening...I have that same 116 treck back home today! I will post back if I have any issues...

Do I recommend other 5.7L owners to use a 30wt? No!

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My '13 5.7 was the same. About a liter every 3-4000km. I switched to Penzoil Platinum 5w20 and found that greatly reduced the consumption issues. But as said- it's pretty normal for the hemis to use a bit and a quart between changes is nothing to be alarmed about IMO. I am always more paranoid with an engine that doesn't use a bit rather than one that does.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I looked into this in more detail today. I was topping off the oil but wanted to make 100% sure of the level. I moved the truck to a perfectly level spot in my driveway. I waited about 30 minutes and checked the oil level. It was exactly in-between the MIN and MAX dots on the dip stick. I feel a little better now. I looked at the exact mileage since my last oil change and it was 6,812 miles ago. This would mean that I used about a little more than a quart in 6,812 miles. I’m guessing that’s ok, right??? This is still the 1st new vehicle I’ve ever had that has consumed oil at all. I will put in 5w-20 (not 0w-20) on the next oil change in about 1,100 miles (about a month). I'll see if that makes a difference at all in the consumption.