DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
DIY: 2013-2014 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

DIY: Add a Backup Camera to the 2013-2014 Ram:

Downloadable Instructions
This is been tried and tested on the following years:
  • 2013:Tested and works
  • 2014: Tested and Works

This is been tried and tested on the following models:
  • Longhorn: Untested
  • Laramie: Untested
  • Sport: Tested and works
  • Outdoorsman: Tested and works by blikike
  • Bighorn: Tested and Works
  • SLT: Tested and Works
  • HFE: Untested
  • Express: Tested and Works, 2013 Express requires slightly different harness
  • Tradesman: Tested and Works, 2013 Tradesman requires slightly different harness

This is been tried and tested on the following radios:
  • 8.4AN (RA4): Tested and works
  • 8.4A (RA3): Tested and works by blikike
  • 5.0 (RA2): Tested and works by castires.

Parts list required, for all models:

Parts required, for trucks without a power locking tailgate:
  • Tailgate harness: 68096415AC
  • Requires the addition of power locking tailgate connector, with custom harness. This should enable power locking tailgate, assuming you install the solenoid.

Before reading my steps, be sure to read the attached pdf.

Step 1: Remove tailgate cover
Using a T-30 torx bit, remove the 8 torx bolts securing the tailgate panel.​

Step 2: Remove the tailgate handle
Disconnect the actuator rods.
Disconnect the tailgate locking harness from the tailgate harness.
Using an 8mm socket, remove the two nuts holding the assembly in place.

Step 3: Configure new Handle.
Using an 8mm ratchet remove the locking mechanism from the old tailgate handle.
Using an 8mm ratchet install the locking mechanism onto the new tailgate handle.
Using a ratchet sized to the additional screws you bought (mine were 7mm), attach the camera to the new tailgate handle.

Step 4: Attach the wiring harness to the tailgate handle

Here is a picture of the original wiring harness next to the new wiring harness. the old one is on the top. Just attach the new harness to your camera and locking mechanism.

Step 5: Install tailgate harness, if not already equipped.

I did not complete this step, and as I mentioned earlier, I am not sure if the body harness exists on trucks without power locking tailgates.

Here is a picture of the tailgate harness.

Step 6: Re-install tailgate handle assembly.

Attach the camera/lock wiring harness to the tailgate wiring harness.
Re-assemble everything back in reverse order.
Re-install the tailgate cover.

Step 7: Remove the tailgate connector from under the bed of your truck and connect the custom chassis harness.

Disconnect the connector and the first fir tree fastener, to allow easy access.

Wire the connector:

Using a small slot screw driver, pop the white face off of the connector.

Remove the white plugs from pins 1 through 6.
2013-07-21 10.25.23_1.jpg

2013-07-21 10.26.38_1.jpg

Insert the wires from the new harness into the slots, using the diagram below.
ConnectorDiagram.png

TailgateConnectorPhoto.png

Re-insert the white plate.​

Step 8: Run the wire to the chassis connector pin.

Follow the factory wiring and zip tie frequently.

Ground the ring terminal at the factory harness ground point, behind the left rear wheel.
Continue running the wire towards the chassis connector, just behind the left front wheel well.

Step 9: Wire the Chassis connector.
There should be 5 pins that need to be wired.

The first (white wire) is larger than the rest. This wire does not have a weather seal. Remove the plug from pin 26 (blue plug) and cut a notch to fit the wire. Also pull the other four yellow plugs

Remove the plugs:

2013-07-21 10.22.57_1.jpg

Remove the white plate:
2013-07-21 10.21.28_1.jpg

Pre-Notch:

Post-Notch:

Wrap the wire at the connector with the notched plug and insert the connector into the slot for pin 26.

Insert the remaining pins according to the diagram below.

ChassisConnectorPhoto.png

Step 10: Remove the Radio

Last edited:

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice write up...mine came with the camera, but I'm curious what the required parts for this cost?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Step 11: Wire the radio connector

Using a small screw driver, pop off the red plate.

Insert the pins per the diagram below:

HUConnectorPhoto.png

Re-insert the red plate.

Step 12: Run the harness to the white connector behind the eBrake pedal.
Recommended path:

Step 13: Wire the connector behind the brake pedal.

Disconnect the connector:

Remove the white plate on the front of the connector

Wire the connector per the diagram below

eBrakeConncector_Photo.png
Re-install the white plate and re-connect the connector.

Step 14: Have the dealer wake up the camera.
Take the truck to the service department and ask them to flash "option XAC" to the truck. This can be done before or after your install.

Last edited:

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Awesome write up. Exactly why RF rocks so much! :rockit:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
jeepguy_1980 Could you send me a pm I can't send you one. I put a powerpoint together on your tutorial/mod wanted to ask you a couple question. Thanks for doing this I think a lot of RAM owners will be happy. Also where can i download your pdf im a newb here so that might be the reason why.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, 1st, This is an awesome write up. If I knew anything about what you were doing I bet I could do it! lol -

So my 1st dumb question of many to come - from following you on the other forum I know you went round and round figure/finding pins etc... Ordering blah, blah - are you installing pins into the plugs you are modifying? If so, how do we get those, if not, what are you fastening the wire to too ensure good contact?

That was really a group of dumb ones - but here comes another - What gauge wire are you running between plugs?

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
jeepguy_1980 Could you send me a pm I can't send you one. I put a powerpoint together on your tutorial/mod wanted to ask you a couple question. Thanks for doing this I think a lot of RAM owners will be happy. Also where can i download your pdf im a newb here so that might be the reason why.

I forgot to attach the PDF. I'll do it tonight when I get home.

Okay, 1st, This is an awesome write up. If I knew anything about what you were doing I bet I could do it! lol -

So my 1st dumb question of many to come - from following you on the other forum I know you went round and round figure/finding pins etc... Ordering blah, blah - are you installing pins into the plugs you are modifying? If so, how do we get those, if not, what are you fastening the wire to too ensure good contact?

That was really a group of dumb ones - but here comes another - What gauge wire are you running between plugs?

I got a harness with OEM pins and just pinned the connectors on the truck. You can see the pins in a few pictures.

The harness is 18AWG. The factory spec is a combination of 18 and 20AWG.

Eraser8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
What a nice job man! Congratulation to figured out how it works. And also, thank you to take the time to share it with us. I just registered to the forum specialy to be able to ask you a question.

1- If I understand well, you have 2 custom harness to do (first between the rear of the truck to the connector at the back of the front left Wheel including 6 wires, and the second between the back of the radio through the connector on the connector above the parking brake pedal on the left side including only 3 wires). You told that you use fatcory OEM cable/pins to do that. Do you have a part # (2 for the 2 different lenght of cables ??)

2- Did you buy the pins separately or did they are already clamp on the harness (which I suposed to be the exact length of what we need to do?)

3- Are you able at this time to tell us if this will work for a UConnect 5.0 (Outdoorsman model)

Thanks a lot for all your informations.

Sorry if my questions seem to be dumb but I just want to make sure what kind of job I need to do.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm really glad mine came with the camera, cuz me and wiring do not get along well.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a harness with OEM pins and just pinned the connectors on the truck. You can see the pins in a few pictures.

The harness is 18AWG. The factory spec is a combination of 18 and 20AWG.

Okay, maybe I'm still confused. Do I need male/female pins and wire to make a harness? Is this the "Custom Harness" you noted in your parts list?

You "got a harness with OEM pins" is this just an extra you took apart to use the pins out of?

"The Harness is 18awg" is this a harness you make or order?

Sorry just trying to clarify this stuff. I jumped the gun and ordered the parts before I have a solid handle on it. :jnono:

Maybe all of this is explained in the PDF I can't find?

Last edited:

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What a nice job man! Congratulation to figured out how it works. And also, thank you to take the time to share it with us. I just registered to the forum specialy to be able to ask you a question.

1- If I understand well, you have 2 custom harness to do (first between the rear of the truck to the connector at the back of the front left Wheel including 6 wires, and the second between the back of the radio through the connector on the connector above the parking brake pedal on the left side including only 3 wires). You told that you use fatcory OEM cable/pins to do that. Do you have a part # (2 for the 2 different lenght of cables ??)

2- Did you buy the pins separately or did they are already clamp on the harness (which I suposed to be the exact length of what we need to do?)

3- Are you able at this time to tell us if this will work for a UConnect 5.0 (Outdoorsman model)

Thanks a lot for all your informations.

Sorry if my questions seem to be dumb but I just want to make sure what kind of job I need to do.

If you wait until next weekend I will let u know. I have an 2013 slt outdoorsman cc model and am going to try to add the back up camera... Hopefully this weekend if all my parts come in...

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I've got the Custom Harnesses in hand - Ordered them 2 days before the Mopar parts, and I'm told they will be here this week :wtf2:

I'm ready to do this -

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I've got the Custom Harnesses in hand - Ordered them 2 days before the Mopar parts, and I'm told they will be here this week :wtf2:

I'm ready to do this -

I feel your pain. I've been waiting for my mopar parts for almost a week now. Sucks.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel your pain. I've been waiting for my mopar parts for almost a week now. Sucks.

I'm good now parts due tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One point I would like to emphasise is to make sure you zip tie the custom harness to the factory harness close to each connector. You don't want the entire weight of the new harness to be held up by just the 5 pins.

Hope all goes well for you. I won't be back until Aug 23.

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm good now parts due tomorrow.

Awesome man. I finally got a hold of the company that's been trying to get the parts and they are overnight shipping them to me so I will have them tomorrow.

Today i'm going to install all the wiring harnesses and get everything in place that way when i get my camera and tailgate handle All i have to do is plug it in. Flashing my head unit on Thursday.

By the way keep in touch and let me know of any problems/issues you have that way we can somewhat collaborate/resolve them together since jeepguy_1980 will be gone.

:favorites13:

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome man. I finally got a hold of the company that's been trying to get the parts and they are overnight shipping them to me so I will have them tomorrow.

Today i'm going to install all the wiring harnesses and get everything in place that way when i get my camera and tailgate handle All i have to do is plug it in. Flashing my head unit on Thursday.

By the way keep in touch and let me know of any problems/issues you have that way we can somewhat collaborate/resolve them together since jeepguy_1980 will be gone.

:favorites13:

Sounds good, mainly because you're going to beat me, I am out of town until the weekend. let me know all the tricks you discover between now and then lol

blikike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good, mainly because you're going to beat me, I am out of town until the weekend. let me know all the tricks you discover between now and then lol

Will do. If I don't get it done on friday then I have to wait the whole weekend because ill be out of town also. You should try to do some pre assembly with the wire harnesses. That way when you get back from being out of town you don't have to do too much, but only if you have free time. Just a suggestion. lol

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
GREAT writeup! Makes me happy I spent the money for it from the factory!

It is a good camera too. I use it every time I back my truck into the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.