Fuel level sensor problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elvatoli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im having a fuel level sensor malfunction, sending a check engine error P0463, sometimes disconnecting the fuel gauge.
The repair is change the sensor inside the fuel tank, $100 parts, $200 labor.
Is it worth it ?
Im planning to trade in my truck for a 2016 RAM 4x4

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened to me few months back. Ended up taking back to dealer and having them do it bc depending on setup the best access to the tank is by taking bed off. It didn’t brother me much other then just having to remember how much fuel you have left if gauge goes out.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Generally I say no to doing most repairs if your are getting a new vehicle and if the trade value is not that much to begin with. Assuming the 2016 is newer, I think you could end up spending more to repair than you would lose if trading as-is. If a vehicle is going to be wholesaled by dealer, it matters even less. Good luck with your new truck.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid $360 for a new Mopar fuel pump (which includes the fuel level sensor) and $130 for install. So Total $490 but i got a new fuel fump installed instead of just changing the level sensor. 2 hours job just because my shop had to call their part distributor and wait for the dude who brough up the part. It'll be the same labor to get a new fuel pump or change the sensor.

Don't know how much the dealer will shave from your trade in money if you throw the truck up with a p0463. Their mechanics will prob borrow the piece easy from their sources but if they'll give $1000 less just because the darn thing, i'll spent the $300 getting it fixed.

Mike Rochester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this same code on my 2015 Ram 1500. I found videos on Youtube and answers on this forum and I changed the Fuel Pump assembly myself. I got the Pump assembly off Amazon for $179. I have a Tradesman with Quad cab so this made the youtube video I watched off by a little bit. I did find it easier to take off the bed to get to the tank (6 bolts / 3 wires total) but with my truck and the extended cab it placed the Fuel pump just underneath the cab. You can just drop the tank by jacking up the truck, but taking off the bed it so much easier to drop the tank and not have to jack up the truck. I would suggest before you start that you go to auto parts store and get a package of fuel line clips (about $4 at Autozone). These are easy to break when taking them off because they are thin plastic. It is also easier to get the round piece around the pump housing off when the tank is on the ground. Another suggestion that may help is when taking the pump out it is spring loaded so it is pushing up on the round piece holding it in, have some one push down on the pump while you unscrew the ring (with Flathead and rubber mallet). Firestone quoted me $900 to do this job. I spent $183 ($179 for the pump and $4 for the clips). It took me and a friend about 4 hours to get it done, and that's only because we had never tried it before. Yes, you can buy just the sensor that comes with the float arm for about $100, but if you are already taking the fuel pump out to replace it because the sensor sits on the side of the Pump assembly in the tank then spend the extra $80 and replace the entire thing. I went a year with the engine light and the fuel gauge going to Empty at about 3/4's full. It is so much better now to have a fuel gauge that works.