1500 rear suspension question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious about upgrading my rear shocks only... I have air ride so, changing the front ones is kind of outta the question unless somebody that I don’t know of, that makes strut upgrades that the factory front bags will work with but, has anybody ever replaced just the back shocks with anything better, whether it’s on an air ride truck or spring ride?

Even with my air ride, the back shocks still feel kinda bumpy like the original shocks did on my old 08. I replaced those all with Rancho RS5000’s but, I wasn’t pleased with them. I don’t know if it was just because those were better geared for off-road or what, but I wasn’t happy with them. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any thoughts guys?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to match my fronts and put Bilstein 5100’s on the rear. Im coil sprung though. Bit stiffer ride and much better onroad performance, feels absolutely planted.
I was just amazed when I was holding the oem shock in one hand and 5100 in the other. Bilstein felt 4x heavier and solid. The oem felt like I could snap it over my knee. I am overall very pleased with the upgrade. Thats my 2 cents.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sad thing is, I looked on auto anything and they all said “without air suspension” even for the rear shocks. I can’t imagine Ram using a different shock between the air and spring ride trucks but then again, maybe my shocks are different because I can change my ride height at the press of a button. I can go from almost sitting on the bump-stops for easy entry and exit, to 2 inches of lift for max clearance.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still, the travel should be the same. Im on stock coils with a spacer. 5100’s are 0-1” longer travel than stock, but I have yet to load anything in the bed to compress it down to the bump stops.
I would think that the length if travel would be main factor in either setup for fitment at least.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still, the travel should be the same. Im on stock coils with a spacer. 5100’s are 0-1” longer travel than stock, but I have yet to load anything in the bed to compress it down to the bump stops.
I would think that the length if travel would be main factor in either setup for fitment at least.

Makes sense. I wouldn’t think there’d be a difference in travel just because I can lift mine.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Sad thing is, I looked on auto anything and they all said “without air suspension” even for the rear shocks. I can’t imagine Ram using a different shock between the air and spring ride trucks but then again, maybe my shocks are different because I can change my ride height at the press of a button. I can go from almost sitting on the bump-stops for easy entry and exit, to 2 inches of lift for max clearance.

There is a different part number for rear shocks. Set for air suspension and set without. Also different ones for 2wd vs 4wd.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to this, the shocks aren’t the same, so I dunno.

Top one’s for air suspension, bottom one’s for spring ride.

f58a3b2afd9a56aaa60b986bb09e42df.jpg

317d6b8e42c8897f0b360e4f15a0e99c.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The mounts and travel look the same so maybe its just different valving. Maybe try some rancho rs9000 as they have adjustable valving from soft to stiff. I've know a couple guys who ran them years ago and the ride difference between settings was very noticeable.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mounts and travel look the same so maybe its just different valving. Maybe try some rancho rs9000 as they have adjustable valving from soft to stiff. I've know a couple guys who ran them years ago and the ride difference between settings was very noticeable.

You could be right. Even at stock height, I’m sure spring rebound rate is probably a bit different between a coil spring and an air bag.

But whether it’s coil spring or air spring, what’s my ride probably gonna be like if I just change the back two since I can’t really change the front two?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just changing rear shocks should be quite noticeable. Better or worse is subjective. That's why I suggested the rs9000. They claim 1-3 is oem type ride, 3-6 is rs5000 type ride and 7-9 is stiff performance ride so you have a better chance of getting the ride you want with 9 settings. I know from your tire choices and past posts you want a soft ride so I'd guess you'd be in the 1-3 range. I think the bils ride similar to the rs5000, which you said you found too stiff.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just changing rear shocks should be quite noticeable. Better or worse is subjective. That's why I suggested the rs9000. They claim 1-3 is oem type ride, 3-6 is rs5000 type ride and 7-9 is stiff performance ride so you have a better chance of getting the ride you want with 9 settings. I know from your tire choices and past posts you want a soft ride so I'd guess you'd be in the 1-3 range. I think the bils ride similar to the rs5000, which you said you found too stiff.

Even Rancho’s say the same, w/o air suspension. Guess I’ll have to call them Monday and ask them.
91808a310b2a58a4996543b326bd75ca.jpg

36b8c5d0f4a9ce19b092fb29a0dfb4ea.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It seems like hardly anybody does anything for the air suspension, but as long as it has the correct travel and ends it should work fine. The air suspension shocks are still just shocks. I think companies just don't want to get involved with the air suspension and trying to help customers troubleshoot because they say their parts are compatible.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Guys on the rebel forum say the spacers not for air work for air to give lift and the bags can be swapped for coilovers easily. They just buy a regular suspension lift kit with coils and swap them out.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That just bugs me why they’re different, tho. Manufacturers aren’t gonna put time and effort into making a different shock for the same truck just because of an air bag in place of a spring unless there’s a significant enough of a reason to do it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys on the rebel forum say the spacers not for air work for air to give lift and the bags can be swapped for coilovers easily. They just buy a regular suspension lift kit with coils and swap them out.

That makes sense, swapping for coils but, spring rebound rate from an air bag’s rebound rate is probably different. Although I don’t use the aero mode, I’m sure the non-air ride shocks will work.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update the thread about those that mentioned the shock travel possibly being the same between factory air suspension rear shocks and factory non air suspension trucks, I don’t think the travel is the same because I found out today that if you go to Monroe’s website and search for shocks for a 2017 ram 1500, you’ll see that they do have a rear shock for those trucks with air ride.

When you click on the part numbers for each shocks – the one for air ride, and the one for without, and then click on the technical specs for each one of those two shocks, you’ll see down on the bottom of the page that even though the fully compressed length of both shocks is like 16 1/2 inches but the fully extended lengths between those two shocks is a difference of 2 inches meaning that their air ride shock is about 2 inches shorter fully extended than the shock that would go on the non-air ride truck.

Unless I’m not seeing it, I would think that the air ride shocks would be longer, not shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum