2011 6.7L oil consumption, new member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NL1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, new member here. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 6.7l. The truck has about 135K miles on it, I bought it with about 106K on it. I've changed the oil every 3-4k miles and have NEVER noticed any oil consumption or major leaks in the roughly 30K miles I've put on it. The last oil change I changed the CCV filter on the valve cover, removing the Cummins branded filter and installing a Dorman branded filter. I then noticed some oil running down the frame/turbo from the vent tube that is supposed to go to the factory intake, it has a short piece of tubing and a filter on it due to the factory air box being removed and a banks system installed. Also, the truck was deleted and has ARP studs from previous owner(s)

After noticing the oil leak, I checked the oil and it was roughly 3 quarts low, in about 2k miles. I topped the oil off, rerouted that vent/filter to under the truck so it wasn't leaking oil all over the truck and just dripping on the ground and drove the truck a couple more weeks, checked the oil and it was beautiful.

This holiday weekend, we went camping, a little over 300-mile round trip, pulling a gooseneck trailer, roughly 11K lbs. I pulled over on the side of the road for about 20 minutes to help a friend change a tire; after taking back off, I noticed quite a bit of blue smoke coming from the tail pipe but after getting up to speed it cleared up and was fine. Stopping at some intersections and stop signs and taking back off there was occasionally some blue smoke exiting the tail pipe again, not at every light but only a couple. After getting home and letting the truck sit for a couple hours and unpacking, I checked the oil and it was again, 3-4 quarts low.

I've taken the oil cap off and there is a decent amount of blow by, it seems to me, not sure what is acceptable and what's not. Fuel mileage seems the same, so I don't know if there's an injector hanging open and causing the blue smoke or if it is in-fact burning oil causing the blue smoke.

I am an auto mechanic, but not a diesel tech so my knowledge is there, but my diesel diagnostic tools are not.

does anyone have any tips or anything to help me try and figure out this oil consumption issue that started out of the blue?

thank you for reading and lending any help you can, if you would like more information, please feel free to ask and I will try and get that information to you!

Thank you again!

Nick~

Bam930878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Post some photos of the set up and the tube i have a idea but not certain i till confirmed with photos

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to Ramforum!!

It could be the oil seal in the turbo is bad and allowing some oil to be ingested

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've taken the oil cap off and there is a decent amount of blow by,
If you loosen the oil cap and just leave it in the opening does the cap move while the engine is running? If it does you most likely have a hole in the piston or some bad rings. A hole in the piston is from a bad injector. It seems low mileage for issues like this on a Cummins but how many idle hours?