2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Rebel - No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayChristian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there are a ton of threads on this issue. I just wanted to share my troubleshooting and results in the hopes that this scenario may help someone else.

My Ram stopped responding to my FOB one day. I exchanged the FOB Battery. At first this did not seem to help. A few minutes later it started working. Truck started without any issues.

A few days later I found my truck battery was dead. I tested the battery and indeed it was only reading 4.5 volts. Now I have been waiting on the day I needed a new battery. Mine was OEM and almost 6 years old. So I purchased a new battery. New battery installed and everything seemed to go back to normal.

Another few days pass and my FOB stopped working again. Truck had power and I used the key to enter the cab. I pressed the button and nothing. It was as if I didn't even press it. My truck does not have remote start so that was not part of my troubleshooting. I did attempt to start it by pressing the button with my FOB but still no start. So I popped the hood and disconnected both battery terminals and grounded the positive terminal. I reconnected the battery and the truck returned to normal.

This whole time there were never any codes.

A few days go by and the truck did this again. At this point I did some research and it seemed to point to the RF module.

The next day I came out to a dead battery again! I boosted the truck and everything seemed to be normal. Obviously the RF module issue was related to my dead battery issue.

So I pulled the passenger side rear seat out and pulled back the panel to expose the RF module. Now for more than a week I have removed the RF module while the truck is parked. No more dead battery. Plus when I reconnect the RF module it works. This won't last, the RF module is going bad and will eventually fail fully.

Can I use AlfaOBD to program a brand new replacement RF module?

Hopefully this helps someone with similar symptoms.

OP
OP
J

JayChristian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I contacted Alexey at AlfaOBD and they confirmed that AlfaOBD does not have the ability to program the newer Ram RF Modules. They also confirmed that it can program FOBs if the PIN code is known.