2019 Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BcToasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 with 25,000 miles, & have periodically noticed an issue with the steering. When pulling into a parking spot or turning into a driveway I've occasionally noticed some kind of feedback (feel & noise) through what feels like the steering column and/or steering wheel. It only happens on occasion & when it's at a sharper turn of the wheel to the right. Any ideas? Thanks.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
So I recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 with 25,000 miles, & have periodically noticed an issue with the steering. When pulling into a parking spot or turning into a driveway I've occasionally noticed some kind of feedback (feel & noise) through what feels like the steering column and/or steering wheel. It only happens on occasion & when it's at a sharper turn of the wheel to the right. Any ideas? Thanks.
if its still under warranty i would have it checked out .you would not like the feeling if it locks up while doing a high speed turn eg off or on ramp

Bryan Lutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Nothing Yet
Engine
Nothing Yet
I have exactly the same thing on my 2019 Bighorn. Took it to the dealer and they flashed it and said it was good, but still have the noise. Mine is also more pronounced when turning to the right. Did they ever figure out your issue?

nprbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
same issue. it is intermittent for sure, but happens on slow speed hard right and left turns. Once the dealer said the duplicated and replaced the clock spring, which solved the problem for a week and now a year later it is worst than before. Dealer never seems to be able to duplicate it again, most of the time i really do not believe they road test it with the conditions I mention. Super frustrated, and it has been a turnoff for my passengers looking at new trucks.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Older thread here and too bad we've never heard any real resolution..

This sounds like 4x4 binding on tight turns. I wonder if any of the above scenarios are with "auto 4x4" on for some reason.

My 2017 or 2019 classic don't have auto 4x4. Just the standard full on, full off switch.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Older thread here and too bad we've never heard any real resolution..

This sounds like 4x4 binding on tight turns. I wonder if any of the above scenarios are with "auto 4x4" on for some reason.

My 2017 or 2019 classic don't have auto 4x4. Just the standard full on, full off switch.
I’m experiencing it on my 4x2. So not likely 4x4 related.

nprbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes 4x2 and not 4x4 manual or automatic. been living with it but really getting tired of it!

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been having the same issue for some time now with my 2018 Power Wagon. Low speeds, under 40, going over bumps I get a feel and sound coming from under the front like something is loose... can even feel it in the front floor, under my feet.

Dealer found no issues anywhere in the front suspension or steering. I have a t\Thuren level kit and brand new shocks. I replaced the OEM parts - the drag link (Thuren), tie rod (Synergy) and track bar (Thuren). All are torqued and re-torqued properly per the installation instructions.

Seemed better for a short bit, but still get the same issue. I did notice that, when running but in park, if I turn my steering wheel just slightly from side to side, I get a clicking from under the front end - doesn't feel to be in the column inside the truck, but under it, outside of the cab. Wondering if it's a U-joint in the mid shaft of the steering column?

Frustrating enough that I am considering a trade. But I will be out under the truck again this week trying to see what I can find.

RAM-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar issue. 2019 Limited RAM, Over 60k miles, 4x4 with air bags. I bought it brand new. Issue is when making right turns, I get what sounds like a vibrating grinding noise when in the process of turning the steering wheel. But it sounds like the noise is coming from under the hood. It was once loud enough my front passenger heard it. So far it only happens when making a right
turn and it doesn't always happen. It could go for days without this noise/virbration happening.

I haven't taken it to the shop for fear of being told they can not replicate the issue. My time is important. Eventually I'll take it in to get it checked out but going in blind may be asking for unncessary work\$$. Does anyone have any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks