2020 ecodiesel questions???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been looking at trucks for an upgrade for my 17 year old son. I found a 2020 limited with the ecodiesel and 43000 miles. I always had cummins before my 6.4 hemi, so I know about diesels, just don't know anything about the ecodiesel. Is this a good year for them, a bad year, or does it matter?? Just wanting to get him something that isn't rusting in half like his F150 2010 is right now!!! Trying to get him something good and reliable before he goes off to college in a year, and before this stupid cancer of mine takes me off this planet. Any responses are greatly appreciated!!!!

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Wishing you the best.

I have that same vehicle with 50K miles. 2020 was the first year for the Gen 3 Ecodiesel. I love mine. It's the family trip vehicle and I use it for hauling friends boats and RV's around.

That said, diesels like to be driven. I don't use mine unless I'm driving over 30 miles round trip. Not sure it's the best vehicle for your son heading off to college.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have that same vehicle with 50K miles. 2020 was the first year for the Gen 3 Ecodiesel. I love mine. It's the family trip vehicle and I use it for hauling friends boats and RV's around.

That said, diesels like to be driven. I don't use mine unless I'm driving over 30 miles round trip. Not sure it's the best vehicle for your son heading off to college.
Thanks for your thoughts!!! I agree, it's not the perfect vehicle for right now, but I told my wife if we end up doing the deal, she could drive it to work for now since she dives about 20 miles to work, and he could drive mine or hers the 1.5 miles to school for right now. I wouldn't let him drive it the short trips, our gassers would be for that for right now at least.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What kind of fuel mileage do you get with yours?? Any issues at all?? Do the 2020 ecodiesels have the problematic CP4 injection pump, or are they something else?? Sorry, just trying to learn about the ecodiesel since I only know about the cummins!!

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What kind of fuel mileage do you get with yours?? Any issues at all?? Do the 2020 ecodiesels have the problematic CP4 injection pump, or are they something else?? Sorry, just trying to learn about the ecodiesel since I only know about the cummins!!
The mileage is why I love this vehicle. I get 24 in mixed driving and 30 on the road (@70 and under). I have the off road package and 3:92 gears.

The 2020 Eco's do have the CP4 pumps. Mine was replaced earlier this year and I've been tracking mileage closely. If anything, the combined mileage has gone up with the new pump.

I do use Hot Shots EDT at each fill up for lubricity and cetane. Have not had any issues with the truck.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mileage is why I love this vehicle. I get 24 in mixed driving and 30 on the road (@70 and under). I have the off road package and 3:92 gears.

The 2020 Eco's do have the CP4 pumps. Mine was replaced earlier this year and I've been tracking mileage closely. If anything, the combined mileage has gone up with the new pump.

I do use Hot Shots EDT at each fill up for lubricity and cetane. Have not had any issues with the truck.
Thanks for the response!! We brought it home to drive for the weekend. It is a very nice truck. It was showing almost 27 MPG by the time we got home roughly 30 miles from the dealer. I assume it has 3.92 gears also since it runs 2k rpm at 70...give or take a bit. With the CP4, is that a recall to get it replaced like it is on the Cummins? I'm assuming so. I would need to check on that to see if it has been replaced or not. It is so nice being in a diesel again that isn't downshifting at every little hill. Just not sure if we want to spend this much on my 17 year old. It is really way too nice of a truck for him!! Haha.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The CP4 recall should be just like your Cummins. I would think the dealer would have the info on whether it was replaced. If not, you should be able to check the VIN#. 2K @70 mph is spot on for the 3:92 gears. Faster than that and wind resistance starts hammering the fuel economy.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do the 2020 ecodiesels have the problematic CP4 injection pump, or are they something else??
Both the Gen2(DS trucks) and Gen3 (DT trucks) EcoDiesel engines use the CP4 based HPFP. There ha e been very few failures reported (under 1%) with this pump on the EcoDiesel.
There is a recall on the CP4 used on the EcoD but it's changed to an updated design unlike the Cummins recall that changed the pump to a CP3 based design.