4th Gen Group 31 Battery Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I figured I'd tackle this project this afternoon as my existing H7 battery is not up to par.

It is actually quite easy to install a Group 31 battery into the drivers side battery tray of these trucks. All I used were some 1" X1/8" flat steel to extend the battery terminals and make a hold down. This is completely reversable, and no damage to the tray, cables, clamps or terminals.

Positive cable is easy, just remove the clamp assembly. Negative cable has the sensor integral to the clamp, so you need a group 31 threaded to clamp post adapter. Factory hold down bolt was used to secure it, and there is a threaded hole in the fender to have the bracket bolt to. I would have welded this but I'm at home and no welder today. The hold down goes under the fender lip as well.

Youll have 3 factory parts to put in a bag in the glove box. The factory hold down wedge, the positive clamp assembly, and a plastic stop that fits in the bottom of the tray and is a stop for the factory H7 battery size.

Group 31 in my opinion is a superior battery for cranking amps, reserve capacity, heat/vibration resistance, as well as cost. Also, they're ubiquitous in the heavy truck and equipment industry. Every place that sells batteries will definitely have threaded post group 31 batteries in stock.

Hope it helps somebody wanting the same modification.

Attachments

• Group311.jpeg
    Group311.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Group312.jpeg
    Group312.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 16
  • Group313.jpeg
    Group313.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 16