5.7L Hemi MDS VVT vs MDS VVT eTorque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeoC4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Cummins Diesel
What (if any) is the relative difference in reliability between a 2021-2022 5.7L HEMI with MDS VVT and the 2023-current 5.7L HEMI with MDS VVT eTorque engine?

I'm in the process of identifying potential replacement trucks and have decided to purchase a RAM 1500 with the 5.7L engine and 3.92 gearing for a travel trailer (amongst other hauling needs). So far, very few candidates have the 3.92 gearing (most have the standard 3.21 gearing) and none have the 5.7L HEMI without MDS VVT. Any guess why? Is looking for a 2021-2022 without MDS VVT wasted effort?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
This has been hashed out in several threads since the first etorque equipped trucks came out. Search the forum for these threads if you have some time to kill.

There are lots of opinions on this. My opinion is to find a 2019 thru 2022 without etorque. Or even a 4th gen or 1500 Classic. I won't own another etorque equipped truck though. Lots of added complexity for very little if any benefit (for me at least).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So far, very few candidates have the 3.92 gearing (most have the standard 3.21 gearing) and none have the 5.7L HEMI without MDS VVT. Any guess why? Is looking for a 2021-2022 without MDS VVT wasted effort?
After 2009 there is no such thing as a non-mds or non-vvt 5.7 Hemi in a 1500,unless it's been modded with a cam that is a non-mds cam,and you lock out the VVT ,which means it'll also be tuned.
MDS and VVT are 2 differant things.MDS is lifter based and VVT is camshaft based.VVT stands for Variable Valve Timing,which means the cam has 38 degrees of movement relative to where the crankshaft is at,while MDS stands for Multi Displacement System,which deactivates 4 cylinders by collasping lifters with oil pressure.Both systems use oil pressure to operate,but they're 2 totally differant systems

OP
OP
LeoC4

LeoC4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Cummins Diesel
This has been hashed out in several threads since the first etorque equipped trucks came out. Search the forum for these threads if you have some time to kill.

There are lots of opinions on this. My opinion is to find a 2019 thru 2022 without etorque. Or even a 4th gen or 1500 Classic. I won't own another etorque equipped truck though. Lots of added complexity for very little if any benefit (for me at least).
I did a search before posting, but didn't see anything which made a direct comparison. Thanks for helping me understand.