6.7 Exhaust Brake Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOULSHINE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 6.7 when I use the exhaust brake it keeps cutting on and off when slowing down, Like somebody is cutting the switch on and off.. any ideas

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
it will do that when the rpms get low enough. as you decelerate, it should cut out until it drops to the next lower gear, then reengage. it doesnt stay active all the time, and thats by design.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
S

SOULSHINE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not the problem Big Terry,, I use the truck a lot, The brake problem just started cutting on and off when in use,, 80 mph down a steep grade it will cut on and off

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you tried running in Tow/haul mode to see if it acts any different? Are you running unloaded (no trailer) when this happens or is it all the time?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Have you seen any CEL's?

OP
OP
S

SOULSHINE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried running in Tow/haul mode to see if it acts any different? Are you running unloaded (no trailer) when this happens or is it all the time?

Running loaded or unloaded does not matter, problem just started never did this before

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you inadvertently switch it to "auto" mode, instead of "full time"?
Auto is a green icon, and full-time is orange.

OP
OP
S

SOULSHINE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you inadvertently switch it to "auto" mode, instead of "full time"?
Auto is a green icon, and full-time is orange.
How do you do that, just have one button to push, when I turn it on a yellow light lights up on dash never seen a green light

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How do you do that, just have one button to push, when I turn it on a yellow light lights up on dash never seen a green light

You push the button once for full and a second time for auto. With that said I am not sure about the 2011's? Maybe they didn't have that feature back then? It might just be one mode on those.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
You push the button once for full and a second time for auto. With that said I am not sure about the 2011's? Maybe they didn't have that feature back then? It might just be one mode on those.

I'm pretty sure I remember my 2011 having the dual feature

OP
OP
S

SOULSHINE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Don't have but one mode drove it today

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't have but one mode drove it today

Yeah, I just pulled up the manual for a 2011. Looks like it only has one mode. The dual mode must have started in a the later years.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Full EGR delete, 5 Inch exhaust, GDP 5 stage programer
I was reading the other day of some other people having the same issues and they narrowed it down to the tune. I can’t seem to locate the link I saw it, but it said something about reverting back to stock Tune, then reloading your tune if I remember correctly