66RFE Rebuild or remanufactured?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajparry89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey all. I am buying a 2018 6.4L with 162k miles, that needs transmission work. I am getting a really good deal on it. I am not totally sure of the extent of the transmission damage yet, I have not driven the vehicle or had it in my sight yet, I am just assuming the worst, and price and budget totally allows for it. From what I am heaing, it drives totally fine, but will eventually throw gear-ratio codes and go into limp. Usually, the driver can clear the codes and then drive it again for a while.

I know these transmission have a few different problems. I will dive into it when I get it, but for now I am assuming a total rebuild/replacement, especially with the miles. With that said, I am wondering if anybody has had any luck with rebuilt transmissions for these? and if so, any particular brand? I havent had too much luck with a lot of rebuilt engines I have changed over the last couple years. I also see the trans from the manufacturer is not too expensive, but a long wait time - in fact, NO eta as of right now, lol. Or, is a rebuild best? given my own schedule (and like I said, the price is right) I would prob just pay to have a reputable shop rebuild it for me. But are there certain things I should request to be upgraded or changed, in order to prevent future failure? I see the external thermostat bypass is a common one. that is something I can do. how about like an upgraded valve body?

Anybody use the larger companies like ATS Diesel, or Nextgen Drivetrain? (nextgendiesel.com). They charge quite a bit, but seem to really make it a point to build something bullet proof.

just wondering what all your guys thoughts are. Thank you!