66RFE Rebuild or remanufactured?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajparry89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey all. I am buying a 2018 6.4L with 162k miles, that needs transmission work. I am getting a really good deal on it. I am not totally sure of the extent of the transmission damage yet, I have not driven the vehicle or had it in my sight yet, I am just assuming the worst, and price and budget totally allows for it. From what I am heaing, it drives totally fine, but will eventually throw gear-ratio codes and go into limp. Usually, the driver can clear the codes and then drive it again for a while.

I know these transmission have a few different problems. I will dive into it when I get it, but for now I am assuming a total rebuild/replacement, especially with the miles. With that said, I am wondering if anybody has had any luck with rebuilt transmissions for these? and if so, any particular brand? I havent had too much luck with a lot of rebuilt engines I have changed over the last couple years. I also see the trans from the manufacturer is not too expensive, but a long wait time - in fact, NO eta as of right now, lol. Or, is a rebuild best? given my own schedule (and like I said, the price is right) I would prob just pay to have a reputable shop rebuild it for me. But are there certain things I should request to be upgraded or changed, in order to prevent future failure? I see the external thermostat bypass is a common one. that is something I can do. how about like an upgraded valve body?

Anybody use the larger companies like ATS Diesel, or Nextgen Drivetrain? (nextgendiesel.com). They charge quite a bit, but seem to really make it a point to build something bullet proof.

just wondering what all your guys thoughts are. Thank you!

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What codes is it throwing? Could be something inexpensive (relatively speaking vs. a new trans), such as a solenoid, valve body, etc. Have you thought about having a transmission shop that is familiar with these transmission look at it before you dump thousands of dollars into it?