A/C outside air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Everett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried search with no luck. Can someone tell me where the a/c pulls in air from the outside (when the ac is not on interior circulation mode)? Trying to remove smoke smell and want to shoot some ozone or Lysol through it. Thanks!

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure it draws air in from the grated wiper cowl area. Might also check/change your cabin filter, if your truck has one. If your truck doesn't have a cabin filter, you can buy the kit that includes the filter and door.

OP
OP
Justin Everett

Justin Everett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I changed the cabin air filter with a “baking soda” model. I figured it might come in from that area, any idea what side?

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I changed the cabin air filter with a “baking soda” model. I figured it might come in from that area, any idea what side?

I think passenger side, but not 100% sure. I just tried a quick search online and it must be a closely guarded secret :(

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Geno's garage sells the filter for the outside cowl ,It covers the whole windshield. Don,t know how it attaches but it cost 59.00 bucks.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Justin Everett

Justin Everett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think passenger side, but not 100% sure. I just tried a quick search online and it must be a closely guarded secret :(

My searches have come up with nothing. Even on a no wind day, I sprayed in the direction of the cowl to see if I could notice any movement, nothing.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My searches have come up with nothing. Even on a no wind day, I sprayed in the direction of the cowl to see if I could notice any movement, nothing.

As stated previously, the outside air comes in through the grated area below the windshield. You need to use smoke from a cigarette/cigar, snuffed out match, incense stick, etc to pick up the air flow. I know with my '15 that the system will go into recirculation if the AC is on and I turn the fan to 7

Pepper77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
There's a switch- deep on the other side of the glove compartment. You take the glove compartment door off- clips on each side. https://youtu.be/8UBvfzyZYRA?si=4z1Z-pHADvv-xb64 this fella describes it better than I can. I'd wager its what we're after. Had the same problem with my 2005 dodge ram.