ABS and 4X4 lights on, changed sensors and connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DouglasStirling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys,
I’m at my wits end.
Abs and traction control is malfunctioning, can’t use cruise and 4x4 won’t work either.
I changed abs sensors, connectors but still no luck.
Here is something strange though...
If I am towing a trailer; it all works fine.
As soon as I unhook the trailer and drive away, all the warning lights come back on again...
Any help is very much appreciated!!!!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi guys,
I’m at my wits end.
Abs and traction control is malfunctioning, can’t use cruise and 4x4 won’t work either.
I changed abs sensors, connectors but still no luck.
Here is something strange though...
If I am towing a trailer; it all works fine.
As soon as I unhook the trailer and drive away, all the warning lights come back on again...
Any help is very much appreciated!!!!!
Do you have a short in the trailer harness/plug maybe?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
do the lights come on immediately after unhooking the trailer, or does it take a bit? Maybe after a bump or two?
I've had the same, ABS and Traction control lights, as well as a "service 4wd" warning intermittently for several months now. I initially thought it was one of the front wheel bearings starting to go out. However, like yours, if I'm towing a trailer, the lights do not come on. I'm starting to think the issue is with one of the rear wheel bearings. I was looking at it the other day, and it looks like with a minimal amount of play in the bearing, it may be possible for the tone ring to pull far enough away from the speed sensor to cause an interruption in the signal. I'm planning to dig into it more this weekend, I'll let ya know what I find.

OP
OP
D

DouglasStirling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s pretty much right away, within 10ft.
I’d be interested to see what you come up with. Thanks Muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a chance to jack up the rear of my truck tonight. I’ve got just a little bit of up and down play with each rear tire. Just enough that it makes a barely audible “click”. I also noticed that there is a considerable more amount of force needed to rotate the drivers side tire. This could be a sticking break, but I suspect it’s the bearing.
Going to order bearings and seals for the rear axle, and keep my fingers crossed that the axle shaft hasn’t been damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had a chance to jack up the rear of my truck tonight. I’ve got just a little bit of up and down play with each rear tire. Just enough that it makes a barely audible “click”. I also noticed that there is a considerable more amount of force needed to rotate the drivers side tire. This could be a sticking break, but I suspect it’s the bearing.
Going to order bearings and seals for the rear axle, and keep my fingers crossed that the axle shaft hasn’t been damaged.

What's your parking brake cable look like? Any slack?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Parking brake cable looks fine.
Doubt it’s dragging as I don’t think I’ve ever used the parking brake.