Alt or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John61622

Reaction score
Ram Year
Earlier this week I went to go start my 2020 1500 classic and the battery was dead.. tried charging placed back in and It would immediately die. Replaced battery and upon the first hook and up and few runs those truck was running I would read anywhere from 14.6 to 14.8. Today while driving I noticed it dropped to in the dash so I check when I got home and it was 13.6 13.8 on a Vmeter (while truck is running) with it off 12.6 12.8. Is the Alt possibly going bad? What’s the computer chip on the negative terminal. Just at a loss now as I for sure thought it wouldn’t had been alt after doing the voltage test but maybe I was wrong any help is appreciated.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Drive your truck to pretty much any auto parts store and they should be able to test it for you. There is usually no charge for this. You don't need to remove it from the vehicle for them to test it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those numbers look good . When you first installed the new one it still needed a bit more charge ,which is why the 14 + .you drove it charged fully , normally they are at 13.6 with the engine running. Sitting with engine off at 12.6 is perfectly normal. I think you’re good to go.

OP
OP
J

John61622

Reaction score
Ram Year
Drive your truck to pretty much any auto parts store and they should be able to test it for you. There is usually no charge for this. You don't need to remove it from the vehicle for them to test it.
Are you talking with the multi meter? I did the test with the multi myself. When I installed the battery two days ago it would read 12.8 12.6 off and with vehicle on it would read 14.6 to 14.8

OP
OP
J

John61622

Reaction score
Ram Year
Those numbers look good . When you first installed the new one it still needed a bit more charge ,which is why the 14 + .you drove it charged fully , normally they are at 13.6 with the engine running. Sitting with engine off at 12.6 is perfectly normal. I think you’re good to go.
Ok that would be great news, I’ve been stressing myself bc I’ve been under the impression under 14 while driving was too low. Been watching the volts in the dash more than the road at this point. Just have bad luck, if it was raining ******* bunnies I’d get hit in the face with a dck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Are you talking with the multi meter? I did the test with the multi myself. When I installed the battery two days ago it would read 12.8 12.6 off and with vehicle on it would read 14.6 to 14.8
Haha no, not a multi meter. Most stores have specialized testers which can test the battery and the alternator while installed in the vehicle. Similar to this...

OP
OP
J

John61622

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ok nice I didn’t know about that at all! Thank you I’ll go get it tested just for reassurance

Last edited: