Anti-fog windshield product cause cloudy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wyatt Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I applied rainx anti fog product to my interior windshield and now there are streaks and swirls that are very cloudy and hazy. What can I do to improve anti-fog properties of my 2017 RAM 1500 Sport HEMI?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those products are known for that, the hardest thing for detailers to do is interior windows. The problem is the film that grows over years from moisture and human sources that becomes part of the window. You can ask a local detailer if they do hot glass treatments, that was the best way to clean them back in the day. If not try dawn dish soap foam the old one not the new one and get it as squeaky clean as possible, and don't use that product. Finish it off with a good glass spray and micro fiber towel, I like invisible glass in the can not bottle. Dry heat from your defroster is the best way to defrost windows.

OP
OP
W

Wyatt Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks but the problem is in hot rainy weather, what is the best fix or solution or settings?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Use defroster on cold setting, works just as good, you haven't tried that? You still need to get the other stuff off, it is gonna cause bad glare at night when raining.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I never needed ac, for me I just use cold setting on fan without ac, but ac is worth a try as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
All the plastic interior pieces will out gas to,and are a constant battle to stay ahead of.I might get laughed at for this,but i polish the inside of the windows with the same polish i use on the exterior,then hit the windows with a good glass cleaner and clean micro fiber towel afterwards.Not saying it's the best idea,but i've found it helps to keep the out gassing film to a minimium.
Hopefully a few of the detail oriented guys will join in with their tips though,as i'm sure there's better ways of keeping the film buildup to a minimium

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Polishing is a great idea, I would use a product like menzerna IP that doesn't use oil the same way as others. In other words a rotary polish instead of orbital that uses oils to help polish last longer. The downside is dusting, but this would work to get that film off, wont help defrosting issue though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
However, carries some risk, diminishing abrasives can leave scraps. So I would use a low cut formula like IP, but not a finishing polish that uses oils. I would first test it on back windows behind driver, just to make sure. Low risk yes, but better safe then sorry.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
However, carries some risk, diminishing abrasives can leave scraps. So I would use a low cut formula like IP, but not a finishing polish that uses oils. I would first test it on back windows behind driver, just to make sure. Low risk yes, but better safe then sorry.
Damn i'm old school yet Mike,i don't own a power polisher,i still do it the old way with grunt labour,lol
I'm gonna have to buy a power polisher one of these days :Big Laugh:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, old school was single stage paint and rubbing compounds, with clear coats it will behoove you to go mechanical polisher.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Cold setting with AC on high?
The defrost setting will turn the compressor on automatically. In winter I start with hot air then adjust down, but cold can work as well. Just have to play with temperature settings for your specific conditions.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running the A/C (dehumidifer) will do the most good on a clean windshield to keep it defogged. If the humidity is low in the truck, there will be little to no condensation on the glass.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Those products are known for that, the hardest thing for detailers to do is interior windows. The problem is the film that grows over years from moisture and human sources that becomes part of the window. You can ask a local detailer if they do hot glass treatments, that was the best way to clean them back in the day. If not try dawn dish soap foam the old one not the new one and get it as squeaky clean as possible, and don't use that product. Finish it off with a good glass spray and micro fiber towel, I like invisible glass in the can not bottle. Dry heat from your defroster is the best way to defrost windows.
Interior outgassing is a huge factor too.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I clean my windows inside and out with invisible glass and newspaper. No streaking!
I do, too, except not with newspaper, which I reserve for its real value as a replacement for toilet paper.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 119139 miles.