anyone else have problems balancing Toyo Open Country MT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 35" x 12.5" Toyo Open Country M/T's on my truck with 20" KMC RockStars...and the shop tried their best to balance them..but I still have wheel wobble. What gives? They said these big wheels/tires are almost impossible to balance, but I find that hard to believe. Any ideas or help here? TIA

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Did you get it done at a little tire shop? My local tire shop couldn't ballance factory 20's worth a darn. I had a 06 with 20s had a bad shake in the wheel I knew I was off balance tires and I got them balanced at my local shop helped a ton but still could feel a slight vibration and I just drove it till I finished off the tires. Got new tires and the local shop order them and mounted and balanced same vibration finally broke down and took it to discount tire and $60 later smooth as glass. So after that story my suggestion is take it to a big shop like discount tire, unless you have already been there. 35 12.5 is a very common tire shouldn't be that difficult to ballance.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get it done at a little tire shop? My local tire shop couldn't ballance factory 20's worth a darn. I had a 06 with 20s had a bad shake in the wheel I knew I was off balance tires and I got them balanced at my local shop helped a ton but still could feel a slight vibration and I just drove it till I finished off the tires. Got new tires and the local shop order them and mounted and balanced same vibration finally broke down and took it to discount tire and $60 later smooth as glass. So after that story my suggestion is take it to a big shop like discount tire, unless you have already been there. 35 12.5 is a very common tire shouldn't be that difficult to ballance.

TireCraft did the balancing. They are a big shop that deal in a lot of transport truck tires etc...so I figured they could do it easily. Maybe I'll try another shop. The shaking drives me nuts...and it can't be good for the truck I'm sure.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had those on my cherokee for a little while and they were great. Balanced out way easier than the mt/r I had on there before.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Toyo/Nitto tires are usually very easy to balance. They usually take very little weight.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could try to find a shop that does road force ballancing, cost more but better results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do your 20" KMC RockStar wheels have the correct hub bore?
or at least have hub centric rings installed to match your 77.8mm hub?

if they are not matched
you are relying on the studs to center the wheel/tire to your truck.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do your 20" KMC RockStar wheels have the correct hub bore?
or at least have hub centric rings installed to match your 77.8mm hub?

if they are not matched
you are relying on the studs to center the wheel/tire to your truck.

um. I have no idea what you're talking about sorry. I dunno.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
um. I have no idea what you're talking about sorry. I dunno.

What are hub centering rings and do I need them? Otis Inc LA & RAD USA Direct's WHEEL TALK - YouTube

Introduction to Hub And Lug Centric Balancing Techniques - YouTube

If the hub bore on the wheel does not match the stock hub
the wheel is not usually centered, and the weight of the truck is on the lugs instead of the hub.

Stock wheels have a hub bore (O opening in the middle) of 77.8 mm (a little over 3")

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like either a bad tire, or somebody that has no idea what they are doing.

ss600r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other comments are correct about going somewhere else. I see tired that are not balanced correctly everyday. I also see people try to balance out a bend in a wheel so as the previous poster said take it to a shop with a road force balancer, better balance plus picks up oddities in tires/wheels regular machines won't.