Auto Level Rear Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those of you that have this do you feel as if this is really necessary?? meaning glad you have it or really did not have to have the air but came with the truck that I like on the lot. And since you have had it are you glad now?? Trying to decide if I really need this air level stuff. I tow some but not real heavy things like a bumper hitch camper. Just a enclosed trailer from time to time with a SxS that weighs about 1600 or so plus whatever the trailer weighs. Those that have had the air and went back to the regular suspensions did you notice any better or worse ride driving empty?? I have the air now in my 2017 Rebel 1500. Just need some opinions. Will be looking soon for the 2500 6.4. Thanks

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those of you that have this do you feel as if this is really necessary?? meaning glad you have it or really did not have to have the air but came with the truck that I like on the lot. And since you have had it are you glad now?? Trying to decide if I really need this air level stuff. I tow some but not real heavy things like a bumper hitch camper. Just a enclosed trailer from time to time with a SxS that weighs about 1600 or so plus whatever the trailer weighs. Those that have had the air and went back to the regular suspensions did you notice any better or worse ride driving empty?? I have the air now in my 2017 Rebel 1500. Just need some opinions. Will be looking soon for the 2500 6.4. Thanks
I have a 3500 with just the rear auto level, It wasn't a thing I was looking for but after having it I don't think I could get another truck without it. I tow a heavy fifth wheel, and having the truck level itself is a great feature, i feel it adds stability and keeps the headlights from blinding oncoming traffic. It also rides pretty good unloaded for a 3500

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love the concept of airbags and have run them on several trucks. That being said I would skip the factory setup and just go with the manual bags again. I've heard some complaints of the suspension being a bit too, "automatic" and chasing the trailer up or just doing unpredictable things. A buddy has it and I watched him struggle with it a bit too. It may be I've just read the complaints (and my buddy well may be an idiot :)) so maybe it works better than I think. I tend to really hate automatic things so take me with a grain of salt.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Have it on mine because it came with it. And having it now I like it well. Truck rides great empty and i have had 8k hooked to it and she sat nice and level and road good. I'm liking it well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
MXZGUY

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info so far. Great inputs>>>>>>So now just to find one in my area or say 200 miles or so radius>>>>

elyrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 & 2019 3500
Engine
Ecodiesel/Cummins
I have it and it is nice when it auto levels but it really shines when the truck is empty, rides smoother then just the leaf springs alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
On the 2500, if you have a loss of air in one or both, you will find it will ride very rough. A few years ago, Ram dealer had a new truck come in that had a problem with the rear air ride.
I had wanted to test drive it but was told about the problem. The salesman said another person took it out for a ride anyway, and he said it rode really hard. There’s no other help back there without air in the bags.
3500 has I believe 1 or 2 short leaf springs which may at least give some kind of support in the event of a failure of the air ride.
I’ve had 3 Ram 1500s which 2 had the air ride. I really liked that, but as with all of these options, at some point it may be a problem.
Good luck which ever way you go.

OP
OP
MXZGUY

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On the 2500, if you have a loss of air in one or both, you will find it will ride very rough. A few years ago, Ram dealer had a new truck come in that had a problem with the rear air ride.
I had wanted to test drive it but was told about the problem. The salesman said another person took it out for a ride anyway, and he said it rode really hard. There’s no other help back there without air in the bags.
3500 has I believe 1 or 2 short leaf springs which may at least give some kind of support in the event of a failure of the air ride.
I’ve had 3 Ram 1500s which 2 had the air ride. I really liked that, but as with all of these options, at some point it may be a problem.
Good luck which ever way you go.

Well I ended up getting the 2500 with the coil spring and not the air. So far has worked pretty good for me>>>>I have about 2400 miles on the truck now and about 2/3rds have been towing a trailer but that will be coming to a end here soon till fall time>>>>

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got it on my new 3500 tradesman. I had a manual one on my old 250 so this was quite an upgrade. So far I like it but honestly I won’t know til I put my 1000# sander in the back. It’s like $850 to put the bare bones AirLift rear on so for me this was a great deal. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Came from 3500 Gas 2019 my new 2022 3500 Diesel is like riding on(AIR) in comparison much improved ride haven't hooked up 5ver yet but can't wait