Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clint Siefers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at getting a fiberglass topper/cap/camper shell for my 1500 crew cab but I dont want to break the bank on it. I've found tons of used toppers on fb marketplace but most of them arent for 4th gen with the 5.7 bed so I was wondering if I go new what is a cheaper brand because i dont want to spend 2500-3000 on a topper and if i go used where are the best places to find them that i might not be looking and do used caps for other models fit our rams as well? Thanks for the help.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of what I quoted when looking was at least 2k and up. I wanted color match used, but wasn't having any luck. So I bought a black (I have max steel) Leer QX for 600, that I was going to have painted. However I later realized it didn't fit perfect because the guy had a regular cab and I had quad and even though we had the same bed size the back of the cab doesn't curve the same. Creating a gap at the bottom where the cab meets the shell. So I ended up selling it for 900 and made 300 bucks.

Then I expanded my search and decided I'd drive if I needed and I found a color matched Snugtop Rebel for $700 in another state like 7 hours away. So the wife and I took a roadtrip and bought it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I bought my Leer 100XL new out the door for $1800. Painted to match with the power lock wired to the tailgate and removable sliding front window.
My neighbor paid about $1200for a 100XR used, that included it being painted to match his truck. No power lock as it is an older version.
Places that sell new caps usually sell used ones also.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every once in a while you might find a really good deal on a shell or a hardcover but they are pretty far and few between. If you don't want to pay big bucks you have to be pretty patient. It doesn't take long to get to a couple of thousand bucks for a new one as others have pointed out.
Jay

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check with your local Ram dealer. Mine usually takes the toppers off any used trucks that come in as he claims so few people want one on their truck. I got my Leer for a grand that included a respray from black to blue streak.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Use searchtempest to search craigslist for Ram Topper and Ram Cap, I'm in Michigan and they tend to pop up regularly. Be sure it will fit your cab configuration and I think any year 09-18 will fit your box as long as it's for the correct length.

I bought a 2013 ARE Z-series that fit my 14 Sport three years ago for $500 and the guy was glad to sell it as he had few calls. I painted it to match and the dealer gave me an extra $1000 for it when I traded the 14 in on a 19 last August.

They're out there.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looking at getting a fiberglass topper/cap/camper shell for my 1500 crew cab but I dont want to break the bank on it. I've found tons of used toppers on fb marketplace but most of them arent for 4th gen with the 5.7 bed so I was wondering if I go new what is a cheaper brand because i dont want to spend 2500-3000 on a topper and if i go used where are the best places to find them that i might not be looking and do used caps for other models fit our rams as well? Thanks for the help.

Craigslist, FB marketplace and even dealers will sometimes sell ones on consignment.

Thats where I got mine was from a dealer on consignment. When I went to pick it up the roof had a split in it by the window. Leer fully replaced it under warranty since it was still owned by the original owner so I ended up with a brand new factory built cap for $600 bucks.

Screenshot_20200124-185806_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clint Siefers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. I'll make some phone calls and keep my eyes open for one.