Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, after my rant about my oil report 3 hours ago, I look, and the report just showed up in my e-mail.

I'm well know for sticking my foot in my mouth, so I guess this one more time won't hurt me much...lol

Here goes.... Does my copper look a little high?
View attachment 542576

This report looks very d a m n good.
I'm curious to what oil filter your using ...

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree. I think it all looks good. I agree with Burla. At 2.7 TBN, to me that is getting a bit low and I would not plan on going much if all longer on duration of oil change.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That oil change was using a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, a synthetic blend filter. The oil in the truck now is the same PUP and Biotech, with a Fram Ultra Synthetic, all synthetic filter.

I was wondering if the copper was from the Pentastar notorious dry starts, even though I pre-start prime the engine, or the stupid high temps the engine gets in the mountains and traffic.

Thanks for the comments!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That oil change was using a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, a synthetic blend filter. The oil in the truck now is the same PUP and Biotech, with a Fram Ultra Synthetic, all synthetic filter.

I was wondering if the copper was from the Pentastar notorious dry starts, even though I pre-start prime the engine, or the stupid high temps the engine gets in the mountains and traffic.

Thanks for the comments!
That is why you need multiple uoa's to see the trends, if it goes down next run as I predict, you should be worry free. Plus aluminum is a dry start wear metal with iron as well, so I don't think this is an issue, but you should consider another uoa as it will tell you a full story on how the engine is trending. I'd try and look up pentastar uoa's to see where you compare at.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is why you need multiple uoa's to see the trends, if it goes down next run as I predict, you should be worry free. Plus aluminum is a dry start wear metal with iron as well, so I don't think this is an issue, but you should consider another uoa as it will tell you a full story on how the engine is trending. I'd try and look up pentastar uoa's to see where you compare at.
I've been looking at Pentastar UOAs online, and they all have higher copper than mine in engines with more and less miles on the engine and oil change.

What people are saying is the copper is from the oil cooler. Don't know if that's the case, but it appears my copper number is very good for these engines.

What I'm reading is if it were bearing wear there would be high lead levels also.

Going to keep using the same products until Pennzoil decides to change formulas, then the hunt begins again.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted a few of my (wifes) Pentastar analysis somewhere - here it is again (and the 2nd one at 40k is the first one I have on this engine). I've not sampled it the past few changes, but it is due for an oil change this weekend and I will.

The copper does seem high. Mine has consistently been 1ppm. The Pentastar seems to be a nice low wear engine.

Regarding the turnaround time - I have a kit pending that went into the mail on 4/16; still no results. Says 'testing' since 4/22. They must be backed up?

Attachments

• R70669 - No PII.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 9
  • N88220 - No PII.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 6

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted a few of my (wifes) Pentastar analysis somewhere - here it is again (and the 2nd one at 40k is the first one I have on this engine). I've not sampled it the past few changes, but it is due for an oil change this weekend and I will.

The copper does seem high. Mine has consistently been 1ppm. The Pentastar seems to be a nice low wear engine.

Regarding the turnaround time - I have a kit pending that went into the mail on 4/16; still no results. Says 'testing' since 4/22. They must be backed up?
The moly in the Castrol Edge report is quite high compared to ****** samples that were tested on BITOG. Any additives were used?
The report makes mention of MoS2.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Your reports look really good. I don't know where the copper came from in mine. I saw quite a few Pentastar reports on the web last night, and some were way up there. I don't know where it comes from. But, 20 isn't much when you consider it parts per million.

Here's hoping you have lots of happy miles left on your engine!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've been looking at Pentastar UOAs online, and they all have higher copper than mine in engines with more and less miles on the engine and oil change.

What people are saying is the copper is from the oil cooler. Don't know if that's the case, but it appears my copper number is very good for these engines.

What I'm reading is if it were bearing wear there would be high lead levels also.

Going to keep using the same products until Pennzoil decides to change formulas, then the hunt begins again.
copper machine lube

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The moly in the Castrol Edge report is quite high compared to ****** samples that were tested on BITOG. Any additives were used?
The report makes mention of MoS2.
Yup, correct - I have been using the MOS2 for a while now.

I hear the ceramtec is good/better, but I've been pleased with the MOS2. Why change what works well?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, until and unless Conoco-Phillips messes with a good thing, it remains Red Line 5W-30 / 5,000 mile OCI for me. Ever more evidence.

Hoping for a few HPL UOA's here.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, until and unless Conoco-Phillips messes with a good thing, it remains Red Line 5W-30 / 5,000 mile OCI for me. Ever more evidence.

Hoping for a few HPL UOA's here.
I just put HPL in mine a short time ago. I usually go 6 months between changes. I will do a UOA when I change it out...if I'm still kicking then.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking the small amount of copper in my report may be from LubeGard, but according to a post on BITOG, it's not.

From a post on BIGOT: This is from 2012, so it may have changed.....

LubeGard VOA:

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F / 47.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100C / 6.64
Flashpoint in F / 430
Fuel% / -
Antifreeze% / -
Water% / 0.0
Insolubles% / TR
TBN / 3.7

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was thinking the small amount of copper in my report may be from LubeGard, but according to a post on BITOG, it's not.

Do you have the cooling system? I know that's the current theory for why some hemis in trucks have a lot more copper, it's leaching out from the cooling system due to the esters.