Check engine light after oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattalto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Need some advice on if I should take my truck into the shop, or if there’s a solution I can solve on my own.

I did an oil change about three weeks ago. As I was driving home from work I got a sudden oil pressure warning and the check engine light came on simultaneously. I was close to home, so coasted the rest of the way. The whole time the oil pressure went from normal to low erratically.

I got home and checked around to find where the oil was leaking. It looks like it was leaking from the oil filter. It appears that the o ring slipped a notch higher than it was supposed to. Not sure how that happened.

Anyways, I replaced the oil filter and o ring, added new oil, and started up the truck. The oil pressure is back to a steady normal. But the check engine light won’t go off.

I’m no mechanic. But everything sounds fine. I haven’t driven the truck. Just let it sit in the driveway running a bit.

Any recommendations on best and worse case scenarios? Thanks!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably a code related to low oil pressure, If you dont manually reset most of the time the light will go out by itself after a couple of drive cycles. But like meedom suggested, manually reset. As long as your oil pressure gauge reads normal probably be ok to drive.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what is your oil pressure at idle?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I just love members that are only here to take and not give back. OP's oil issue must have broken his internet or he has an aversion to answer honest questions everybody could learn from.