Check engine light flashes when engine is off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never saw it before. Maybe paranoid.

Did a 10 mile drive. Parked and turned ignition to off then back to run but not start. The CEL came one then blinked 4-6 times then stayed on.

Connected alfaobd and tested engine , body computer, transmission and shifter; all returned no codes.

But I'm certain I've done this a hundred other times and never got the CEL. Mechanic Google says it's a misfire or catalytic converter that causes it to flash.

Left it off for 10 minutes. Restarted it twice and no CEL.
But can repeat the same CEL light and flashes by going from off to run but not start.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A misfire codes won't illuminate when the engine is off, and it's typical that the CEL will be illuminated when the ignition is on but not running.
If you can't pull a CEL, what's the problem?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never saw it before. Maybe paranoid.

Did a 10 mile drive. Parked and turned ignition to off then back to run but not start. The CEL came one then blinked 4-6 times then stayed on.

Connected alfaobd and tested engine , body computer, transmission and shifter; all returned no codes.

But I'm certain I've done this a hundred other times and never got the CEL. Mechanic Google says it's a misfire or catalytic converter that causes it to flash.

Left it off for 10 minutes. Restarted it twice and no CEL.
But can repeat the same CEL light and flashes by going from off to run but not start.
Aren't you the guy that never noticed the service 4X4 system when turning the key on,lol. If you're describing the check engine light,that's pretty normal,when you cycle the key to run but don't start it. Yes you're paranoid :Big Laugh: