Cruise control doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck 2012 Ram 5.7 Laramie - Canadian Truck

So for a while my cruise would work, but would drop out. It seemed to be tied to steering, as in make a left turn or right turn it would turn cruise off. Couldn't turn cruise on again until I turned the key off then on. It got progressively worse. I have a blue driver obdII scanner it gave me a code about the cruise buttons, can't remember exactly what it was over a year ago. So, I replaced the steering wheel right switches. No change.

Time goes on, it'***** and miss, some times it works fine, more so it works til I turn the wheel, or so I thought. Gets worse over time, 2 weeks ago I replaced the whole clock spring assembly. the Steering angle sensor, the clock spring etc. Initially cruise seemed to work.. then it stopped working. Twice it worked after leaving the battery disconnected for some time. Then it started failing again.

I did some more looking around online a bunch of people report the brake switch sensor being the issue. Ok cool Swapped that today. Brake lights turn off faster, ok cool...
'cept now the cruise doesn't turn on at all, and the air bag light is on. Literally only thing that changed was I swapped the brake switch.

Currently 4 codes.
B0020 - Left Side Airbag Deployment Control Circuit Open
P0579 - Speed control Switch 1 Performance
P0581 - Cruise Control Multi-Function Input "A" Circuit High
P0591 - Speed Control Switch 2 performance

The last 3 I've been getting for a while

I thought it was steering related until I swapped the clock spring, but then I noticed sometimes sitting in a parking lot start the truck, turn on cruise control sometimes turning the wheel a little without touching anything turns it off and sometimes hitting the brake it does.

If i put the old brake switch in cruise at least turns on, but so far it hasn't with the new brake switch.

Not sure if related, but additional info. Back in Dec I had the TIPM fuel pump relay issue so I bypassed it, then in march my TIPM pretty much completely failed, I ordered a reman from MAK and paid the extra to program it to my VIN. The same day i swapped the clock spring I also replaced the 4x4 shift motor(off and on I've been getting the transfer case position sensor error), the next day the starter died. I've been having off and on issues where tip start doesn't work right sometimes it cranks, sometimes not. There's a relay or something under the dash that clicks but I can't tie it to a start or no start, but it always starts with remote start.

Thoughts? Thank you for reading my novel. I am toying the with the idea of AlfaODB with a MX+ to see if something just needs re calibrated

Ps. beating the bleep out of the steering wheel or flicking hte buttons never did anything

Last edited:

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had to replace the TIPM in my '09 TRX4 a couple years ago. I went round and round with aftermarket and junkyard TIPMs and all had different issues. I finally had a dealer install and program a new one. I've had no issues since other than an ABS sensor and don't believe that was TIPM related.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck 2012 Ram 5.7 Laramie - Canadian Truck

So for a while my cruise would work, but would drop out. It seemed to be tied to steering, as in make a left turn or right turn it would turn cruise off. Couldn't turn cruise on again until I turned the key off then on. It got progressively worse. I have a blue driver obdII scanner it gave me a code about the cruise buttons, can't remember exactly what it was over a year ago. So, I replaced the steering wheel right switches. No change.

Time goes on, it'***** and miss, some times it works fine, more so it works til I turn the wheel, or so I thought. Gets worse over time, 2 weeks ago I replaced the whole clock spring assembly. the Steering angle sensor, the clock spring etc. Initially cruise seemed to work.. then it stopped working. Twice it worked after leaving the battery disconnected for some time. Then it started failing again.

I did some more looking around online a bunch of people report the brake switch sensor being the issue. Ok cool Swapped that today. Brake lights turn off faster, ok cool...
'cept now the cruise doesn't turn on at all, and the air bag light is on. Literally only thing that changed was I swapped the brake switch.

Currently 4 codes.
B0020 - Left Side Airbag Deployment Control Circuit Open
P0579 - Speed control Switch 1 Performance
P0581 - Cruise Control Multi-Function Input "A" Circuit High
P0591 - Speed Control Switch 2 performance

The last 3 I've been getting for a while

I thought it was steering related until I swapped the clock spring, but then I noticed sometimes sitting in a parking lot start the truck, turn on cruise control sometimes turning the wheel a little without touching anything turns it off and sometimes hitting the brake it does.

If i put the old brake switch in cruise at least turns on, but so far it hasn't with the new brake switch.

Not sure if related, but additional info. Back in Dec I had the TIPM fuel pump relay issue so I bypassed it, then in march my TIPM pretty much completely failed, I ordered a reman from MAK and paid the extra to program it to my VIN. The same day i swapped the clock spring I also replaced the 4x4 shift motor(off and on I've been getting the transfer case position sensor error), the next day the starter died. I've been having off and on issues where tip start doesn't work right sometimes it cranks, sometimes not. There's a relay or something under the dash that clicks but I can't tie it to a start or no start, but it always starts with remote start.

Thoughts? Thank you for reading my novel. I am toying the with the idea of AlfaODB with a MX+ to see if something just needs re calibrated

Ps. beating the bleep out of the steering wheel or flicking hte buttons never did anything
I have nothing useful to contribute. Just wanted to say, I'm frustrated for you. That's a lot of things going on. There are MANY times where I'd trade my current vehicle for a 70's carb'd pickup that leaks, rattles, and needs maintenance every week, doesn't have A/C, cruise, or power anything. Electronic issues just seem to compound over time. I've threatened to drive out to AZ or CA and trade my current truck for an aforementioned unit (low/no rust areas). Wife says there'd be hell to pay, then she hears me cussing my current truck while I'm trying to figure out what the engineers were smokin' when they designed some of this crap, and she replies "yeah, go get your old truck". I won't. EFI is superior for many reasons. A/C is superior for many reasons (especially getting old). But it makes me feel better to say horrible things and vent. Again, nothing useful to contribute, but I do feel your pain.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
I'm sure this isn't related to your issue but when my cruise shut down unexpectedly it turned out to be something with the oil change light coming on........when i changed the oil and reset the light the cruise came back and hasn't left since? These trucks just do weird **** sometimes

OP
OP
M

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late last night the airbag light went out, but when I ran codes it was still there, even after I cleared. Mopar loves the self clear after x driving cycles thing so maybe.

With the new brake switch I managed to get cruise to turn on today, pulled out of my stall, hitting brakes and steering it was still on then 2 blocks away going straight it turns off. I remote started it later, got in, put the key to on... cruise wouldn't turn on.

I spent $900 on a rebuilt TIPM, like they go over everything allegedly, Rock Auto listed a TIPM at $2500 but out of stock.. I'd hate to see what a Dealer provided TIPM would cost. All my "current" issues (cruise/tip starting) I had them with the old TIPM.. aside from the airbag light

In a week I have a 1500km drive then a week later another 1500km drive so figuring out cruise would be nice, otherwise I'll have to old school it or take the wife's '16 Durango. Yes hers will get better mileage and her cruise works, but mine is more comfy and is better equipped(My truck is setup like AAA, just better). I do have a BullyDog programmer (been on since like 2017), it does 3 tunes, Eco, "normal" and performance, I have the Normal tune on, it's supposed to disable the MDS, but it doesn't and it's funny factory wise MDS isn't supposed to kick in below a certain temp, yet it can be -40, truck isn't warm and I'll cruise down the road in 4cyl mode.

It's tempting to remove the Bully and get AlfaODB, but at $280CAD for the Dongle and software I'd like to know/hope there's some diagnotics calibrations I could try with it to make it work the cost.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Actually the dealer unit was$1088 installed. But if you were having this problem before the new one it may be something else. Did you have the cruise issue before you installed the tuner?

OP
OP
M

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, cruise worked fine before the tuner and works for a couple years after the tuner before having issues. I don't think it's the tuner, but if i was going to play with AlfaOBD I'd remove the Bully before just in case. I removed the programming before I pulled the old TIPM then put it back on after the new one just to avoid issues there.

Holy *bleep* I looked up the wire harness that goes from the Steering Angle sensor to the buttons... $150CAD with shipping on Amazon for $1 with of wire and plastic.. and RockAuto doesn't have it in stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so last night I played with things, I tried to analog test it.. silly me.. So ALLLLL the steering wheel buttons plug into the right cruise button module, then runs to the clock spring, so it's canbus.. yay. <sarcasm> Anyhow I tried to resistance/continuity check the pins on the cruise switch. I started to get an additional code in OBDLink of cruise switch 1/2 stuck. ok interesting... anyhow I reseated the whole harness in the wheel and I have not re-clipped the airbag yet, I just black taped it on as I figured I'd be yoinking it again today..however cruise has started to work... so so odd...

I went to a wrecker today they had no compatible rams, but I found a Journey with a similar looking setup/harness the par # for the switch from the Journey is 56046252AD it looks to work for 2013 and newer 1500, but apparently some 2012 2500s as well... 'cording to Rockauto my ram has 56046094AF. Everything I can find says even though they look identical they don't interchange... except for 1 Amazon page of a knock off saying theirs will work for both OEM part #s

I also yoinked the harness which is part 618065400B the front switch and clock spring connectors look right, rest is not and doesn't interchange :( $25 for both left and right switches and the harness from a wrecker vs $400+(cad) from rockauto. womp womp womp