Cylinder shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raynor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does cylinder shut occur above a certain speed or every time I see EOC on the dash.

There no description in the owner manual

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
neither. ECO is more of an indication of your throttle use. MDS usually comes on if you're driving at a steady speed. i'm not sure on all the requirements but i know it's only supposed to come on within a certain rpm range so at higher speeds it's less likely to come on. it also requires the engine to be warm and will switch on and off as needed to maintain temperature

the best way to tell is watch the fuel economy screen on your EVIC. for me the little bar will sit around 10(L/100km) but once MDS kicks it it'll drop down a lot and sit more around 8. so basically when you see the bar drop and it's not due to coasting or going down hill it's MDS activating

it's a lot harder to get it to activate at higher speeds and also depends what axles you have. the 3.92 will run at a higher rpm at highway speeds while 3.21 will run lower rpm so it's easier to get MDS to activate with the 3.21 axles

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, these trucks are funny..... there's no dash indicator to let you know. My wife's Honda Odyssey has a light that comes/goes each time so I can get an idea under what circumstances it kicks in. Whatever it's doing seems to be working. I'm averaging around 14mpg with my 6.4 Hemi 2500 in mixed city/hwy driving. 10 years ago I would have been laughed off the site for claiming such a thing from a truck this size.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When you run in tow haul or put your transmission in shift mode, IE just kick it down one gear, either 5th if you have the 6 speed or 7 if you have the 8 speed, the MDS will be off. You can tune that crap out as well. Unless you like it.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My MDS has activated at around 70 before, but I was going downhill. Normally, there is to much engine load from wind resistance to get it to kick in.

One could always hook up an LED to the MDS system to show when its active or not. I can hear and feel it though when its doin its thing.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you run in tow haul or put your transmission in shift mode, IE just kick it down one gear, either 5th if you have the 6 speed or 7 if you have the 8 speed, the MDS will be off. You can tune that crap out as well. Unless you like it.

older models MDS won't come on with tow/haul but on the newer ones it does. also you don't have to drop a gear simply activating the manual control disables MDS so you can leave it in 8th or 6th

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
older models MDS won't come on with tow/haul but on the newer ones it does. also you don't have to drop a gear simply activating the manual control disables MDS so you can leave it in 8th or 6th

Thanks for that, man that is horrible about tow haul, lol. Who would want 4 cylinders shut down when fawking towing something, who is running chit at Ram these days? At least we have manual controls for now, next model I'm sure they will take that away as well.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that, man that is horrible about tow haul, lol. Who would want 4 cylinders shut down when fawking towing something, who is running chit at Ram these days? At least we have manual controls for now, next model I'm sure they will take that away as well.

it's still somewhat useful having it activate in tow/haul under light loads or simply when going down hill. it's also very annoying too tho, with my ATV in the bed MDS was constantly kicking on and off to the point i just locked it into 8th to disable it

RAM_CRNA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7l Hemi V8 MDS 4x4
I think it is a testament to the beauty of this truck's engineering that you can't tell if it's on or off. Personally, Id rather not know what it's doing.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hooked a light to mine. it illuminates when the circuitry is activated for MDS. it only comes on when I coast.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is a testament to the beauty of this truck's engineering that you can't tell if it's on or off. Personally, Id rather not know what it's doing.

yeah i don't notice it at all but i wish i did. i like to try and keep it in 4 as much as i can so a light or something would really help with that. really they should of just gave us a button to manually activate it that way we have full control and those that don't like MDS don't have to bother with it at all

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'd rather have an MDS light than the ECO light. I'd also like to be able to see the gear indicator without disabling the MDS.

I agree the MDS operation is nearly indiscernible.