Death wobble...what a surprise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luthorix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello all. I have a 2017 2500 Power wagon that has had it's ups and downs. Initially I could not go above 50mph without the all too common wobble. After replacing the front wheel bearings and steering stabilizor I was able to increase speed up to 60 without shaking. I have since replaced the tie rod(both ends were horrible and falling apart) and had an alignment today. I took the ole gal on the highway and now at 62mph there is a shimmy to the steering wheel. Not the full blown wobble, but enough to be uncomfortable. My ball joints are fine and every other bushing/bearing seems to be in fine condition. I'm at a loss for what the issue is now. Whether it's just needing a brace, front u joints, or something else I have no clue. If anyone has any answers it would be appreciated. Thank you

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tires out of balance, out of round, belt separation?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tens of thousands of us are driving solid front axle 4x4 pickups and we don't have the death wobble, so everything is not Peachy Keen on yours. If the Tie rod was that bad and steering stabilizer was shot then that pickup either has a lot of miles on it or has been used hard.

I greatly doubt that the rest of the steering gear, bushings etc are fine. Also, depending on how hard it was driven it is possible the front axle housing is bent, frame bent, springs out of square, Knuckles out of square, driveshaft is not balanced, steering box out of adjustment, steering shaft from steering wheel to box has play, and on and on go the possible causes.

The only way to approach this with any real chance of fixing it, is to go through the entire front end in fine detail, and likely replace more parts. Hopping from pillar to post or trying to replace the absolute minimum is not going to lead to success.

Keep a written record of the steps and the order you do them in as you complete detailed testing and analysis. With that info we may be able to be of some help. Best of luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agree with the above, Ram's just don't suffer from Death Wobble that frequently, unless something is wrong. You're definitely going to need to go through EVERYTHING to find the root cause.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Check the track bar, axle side mount, they're known to wallow out. And the drag link ends.

Personally I would find a 4x4 shop and have them check it.