Diablo tuner options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m planning on doing some performance upgrades to my truck in the near future and I want to start off with a CAI and then a tune soon after. When I look at the options for the trinity programmer from Diablo, there are two options available, unlocked pcm swap and modified pcm. I assume the modified pcm means it is preloaded with tons of custom tunes on it (correct me if I’m wrong) but is something like that really needed if you’re adding things like a CAI, exhaust and possibly long tube headers with high flow cats? I’m only asking because the modified pcm swap is $300 more than the simple unlocked PCM swap and if everything will run perfectly fine with the unlocked pcm option and still give me a noticeable gain in performance, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a good option. I know literally nothing about tuning so any help would be most appreciated.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck, someone will chime in but I think you only needed the PCM for the 16+ models.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are your options with the pcm

2014 and below you do not need a u locked pcm and only need the tuner but only some 8spds can be tuned.
2015+ have to have an unlocked PCM
2018+ have ti have an unlocked pcm aswell as a security bypass cable I believe.

Modify your pcm:
You can take out your pcm send it to diablo and with I believe a week they will have it back unlocked. Con though of course the truck won't start.

PCM swap (I did this option) :
You send them some numbers on the back of your pcm and they program a used pcm to your truck and when you receive it you swap it out with your stock pcm and send your pcm to them and you keep the one that was sent to you. Downside about this you have no backup pcm.

Modified PCM: they send you a unlocked pcm just like the swap except you get to keep your stock pcm. Downside expensive.

A good trick I've learned on here was people buying a used pcm on ebay and doing to pcm swap and sending that to diablo lol so you still have your stock one.

This is a bit of money but aswell the "canned tunes" (tunes that come preloaded into the tuner) are alright per say. Not bad. But a custom tune with a custom tuner is a even better option (I went with Greene Racing).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@Cwils80 nailed it with his explanation.

Regardless of which option you choose you still need a programmer that comes with the standard tunes package.

If you want the ability to add custom tunes to your truck at a later date get the Diablosport programmer of your choice that is labeled on their website with the red banding & "Custom Tuning".

I purchased an InTune I2 programmer and a custom tune package for my 2014 6.4L CC. The difference between the "canned tunes" that came with the programmer & the custom tune I added was definitely noticeable.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2014 and below you do not need a u locked pcm and only need the tuner but only some 8spds can be tuned.

Modify your pcm:
You can take out your pcm send it to diablo and with I believe a week they will have it back unlocked. Con though of course the truck won't start.

You send them some numbers on the back of your pcm and they program a used pcm to your truck and when you receive it you swap it out with your stock pcm and send your pcm to them and you keep the one that was sent to you. Downside about this you have no backup pcm.

Modified PCM: they send you a unlocked pcm just like the swap except you get to keep your stock pcm. Downside expensive.

A good trick I've learned on here was people buying a used pcm on ebay and doing to pcm swap and sending that to diablo lol so you still have your stock one.

This is a bit of money but aswell the "canned tunes" (tunes that come preloaded into the tuner) are alright per say. Not bad. But a custom tune with a custom tuner is a even better option (I went with Greene Racing).
Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of being able to keep my stock pcm so it seems that saving up the money for the modified pcm version is the best option. My truck is a 2018 and this is likely the option I would go with. I assume this has everything I’ll need and I would just need to get in touch with Jay Greene, Hemifever, etc. for the custom tune options?

5E7F0C27-D79B-4E68-87C2-0EA35E2347B6.png

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
looking on ebay i see alot of diesel pcms. would the core to send in need to be the same as the truck your buying for. or will a diesel or 5.7 pcm work

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did the PCM swap recently with an i3 for tuning. Really convenient and recommended because there is nothing special about the exact pcm that came on your truck. Im using a diablo 87 tune with hemifever trans tuning and its great.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of being able to keep my stock pcm so it seems that saving up the money for the modified pcm version is the best option. My truck is a 2018 and this is likely the option I would go with. I assume this has everything I’ll need and I would just need to get in touch with Jay Greene, Hemifever, etc. for the custom tune options?

View attachment 214972

I don't want to tell you 100% yes and possibly be wrong. I went with the pcm swap i3 option. Then found out the sku I bought didn't support custom tuning and they had to send an update to it to change its version and it was a big Ole headache. I would recommend either getting a hold of diablo sport customer service which is great with helping out. Or Matt at Moe's performance is a preferred vendor here and will give discounts to people on the fourm I've heard. So I would recommend getting with them to be sure you get the sku you need.

And you are correct. I did my diligent research and chose Jay based off the reviews I've seen but he did recently up his prices with tuning and they are pretty expensive with him now (IMHO if I was getting my truck tuned now I would have gone with someone else they got that expensive) But at the same time I've heard hemi fever has no problems aswell as demon motorsports or Ryan at flying Ryan performance. I would just recommend doing a bunch of research and asking them any questions you have and see who give you the best customer service experience.

I think the one with the best customer service is the one whose going to try and help the most quickly when help is needed.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't want to tell you 100% yes and possibly be wrong. I went with the pcm swap i3 option. Then found out the sku I bought didn't support custom tuning and they had to send an update to it to change its version and it was a big Ole headache. I would recommend either getting a hold of diablo sport customer service which is great with helping out. Or Matt at Moe's performance is a preferred vendor here and will give discounts to people on the fourm I've heard. So I would recommend getting with them to be sure you get the sku you need.

And you are correct. I did my diligent research and chose Jay based off the reviews I've seen but he did recently up his prices with tuning and they are pretty expensive with him now (IMHO if I was getting my truck tuned now I would have gone with someone else they got that expensive) But at the same time I've heard hemi fever has no problems aswell as demon motorsports or Ryan at flying Ryan performance. I would just recommend doing a bunch of research and asking them any questions you have and see who give you the best customer service experience.

I think the one with the best customer service is the one whose going to try and help the most quickly when help is needed.
Thanks! I have no intentions of any real major performance modifications like a new cam or nitrous or whatever, just a better exhaust, cold air intake and possibly some long tube headers with high flow cats. My truck is strictly a daily driver so I don’t need a ridiculous amount of power but I would like to get some out of it to make it even more fun to drive than it already is.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will not get the full potential from the mods you are talking about without a custom tune. Moe's Performance and Hemifever work closely together and I believe they offer a package deal for the tuner, PCM, and custom tuning. It would be worth checking out and maybe saving yourself a few bucks. Service after the sale is also very important and Matt and Sean have been around for a long time.
Jay

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will not get the full potential from the mods you are talking about without a custom tune. Moe's Performance and Hemifever work closely together and I believe they offer a package deal for the tuner, PCM, and custom tuning. It would be worth checking out and maybe saving yourself a few bucks. Service after the sale is also very important and Matt and Sean have been around for a long time.
Jay
Thanks for the tip! His prices certainly are cheaper than straight from Diablosport.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Modify your pcm:

Hey im looking at tuners too i have a 14 sport with 8 speed. You say only some 8 speeds can be tuned. How do i know if i have the lucky one that can be?

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey im looking at tuners too i have a 14 sport with 8 speed. You say only some 8 speeds can be tuned. How do i know if i have the lucky one that can be?

Since I own a 2015 I'm not super familiar with the 2014 and the 8spds. But this is what I believe from reading threads here.

Currently there is no way to tell if your 8spd can be tuned or not by diablo sport.

Diablo sport can only tune some 2014 8spds. I have read that diablo sport fixed it, but I wouldn't guarentee it with how many issues there has been. Maybe diablo sport may tell you different and that they are fixed but I would get in contact with diablo sport to get a guarentee from them.

What I have read on here is that HP Tuners works for all the 2014 8spds. They are more expensive I believe though.

And just to clarify this is just the TCM portion. The ECM can be tuned with either diablo sport or hp tuners. Only the 2014 8spds TCM has issues with diablo sport.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Generally it's the late 13 / early 14's with the 8 speeds that are the most prone to not being tranny tunable via Diablo. There are a few guys who've had their tuner stack a Diablo engine tune together with an HP tranny tune on the 13's and 14's that aren't tranny tunable.Just letting you know that is an option if needed. Check your drivers door for your build date

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I own a 2015 I'm not super familiar with the 2014 and the 8spds. But this is what I believe from reading threads here.

Currently there is no way to tell if your 8spd can be tuned or not by diablo sport.

Diablo sport can only tune some 2014 8spds. I have read that diablo sport fixed it, but I wouldn't guarentee it with how many issues there has been. Maybe diablo sport may tell you different and that they are fixed but I would get in contact with diablo sport to get a guarentee from them.

What I have read on here is that HP Tuners works for all the 2014 8spds. They are more expensive I believe though.

And just to clarify this is just the TCM portion. The ECM can be tuned with either diablo sport or hp tuners. Only the 2014 8spds TCM has issues with diablo sport.
Generally it's the late 13 / early 14's with the 8 speeds that are the most prone to not being tranny tunable via Diablo. There are a few guys who've had their tuner stack a Diablo engine tune together with an HP tranny tune on the 13's and 14's that aren't tranny tunable.Just letting you know that is an option if needed. Check your drivers door for your build date

Good to know going to contant them see what they have to say

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StunnaJB