Electric Steering Sudden Quit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

estrmic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi Everyone!
I just purchased a 2017 1500 on June 12th Tradesmen 103000 miles. July 9th steering stopped. The first payment not even due yet. Took it back to the dealership to check it out they said a wire snapped. I have searched and of course a recall on all the years but 2017. $3000.00 to fix. Who can afford that? I'm at a loss. The traction control light keeps flashing. Is anyone else coming up with a resolution? I see a few people are having the same issue. Has every got on the nhtsa website and filed a report? that way hopefully they can push for a recall?

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You just bought it and they wont fix it? no warranty? I would go elsewhere to have someone look at it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hi Everyone!
I just purchased a 2017 1500 on June 12th Tradesmen 103000 miles. July 9th steering stopped. The first payment not even due yet. Took it back to the dealership to check it out they said a wire snapped. I have searched and of course a recall on all the years but 2017. $3000.00 to fix. Who can afford that? I'm at a loss. The traction control light keeps flashing. Is anyone else coming up with a resolution? I see a few people are having the same issue. Has every got on the nhtsa website and filed a report? that way hopefully they can push for a recall?
"A wire snapped", is that really the diagnosis on the work order?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do a search. There's a bazillion posts on Electronic Power Steering (EPS) for these trucks. They got better in 2017 supposedly, not sure at which point though, and there are still guys with 2017's+ who've had them go out. Your tk could have been build in 2016.

$2,500-$3k is about what they cost to replace. That's not the 'broken wire' cost though. If you're lucky it's just a wire (or fuse by battery), and then it should cost almost nothing, maybe an hour or two of labor. I would read through old "Steering" or "EPS" posts and learn the common issues and see if you can find a guy to look them over on your tk. Unfortunately most mechanics these days are "Parts Replacers" ..even if it is a wire, belt, or corroded control unit. Which sometimes is the cause.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be talking to the owner or General Manager of that dealership. Less than a month? They would be fixing it or taking the truck back and refund every cent I had in it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum