Engine Misfire with no ticking and no codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an engine misfire on cylinder 3 but currently no codes. I noticed this originally when I was towing a trailer and the check engine light started flashing and then stayed on constant. At that time I did have a P0302, cylinder 2 misfire. I think there may have been a P0300 then too. When I moved the coil to cylinder 4 the misfire went with it according to an OBDII scanner watching live signals. Since then I replaced all of the plugs and some of the coil packs. I also unhooked the battery to clear the codes. I drove a couple hundred miles today with it on and it counted 77 misfires on cylinder 3 and I could feel them but no check engine light and no codes set. Also, no ticking and oil pressure is the same as it's always been. Thinking back, I think I may have been noticing the hesitations (misfires?) like I have now before I towed the trailer but just didn't pay enough attention to it. Truck has 127K. 5K synthetic oil changes and an occasional bottle of LubeGard. What is the likelihood its a cam/lifter issue with no ticking, oil pressure changes, and no check engine light or codes being set except for the one incident? What else could it be? Thanks