engine oil colour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I ran into a new one today. Recently bought a new to me vehicle and decided that it was time to change the oil. I pulled the plug but as I usually do, it just took it out a bit to make sure the stream will go into the pan. I was quite surprised to see RED oil coming out. I stuck the plug back in, double checked that it was indeed the engine. Pulled the dipstick and YES, the oil on it was red. Darn near the same shade as ATF. I had not seen this before.
Any ideas from the illustrious group?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's not good. How's your coolant level? Pretty much the only thing that will turn oil red. Another possibility is the PO filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It shouldn't be manu dye like the green or purple oils, it is supposed to be a NoNo to use red but who knows these days? It is "probably" atf there is an long lived tale atf cleans better then engine oil. I'd just change it and see what happens, keep a sample put aside. atf is not proper for lubrication, it is even thinner then 5w20 by a couple points and doesn't contain the right additives.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Just trying to wrap my head around something and wondering how long you've had this truck. You bought a used vehicle and never checked the oil? I'd think you would notice that it was red the first time you checked the oil level. No judgement intended. I know lots of people who do none of their own maintenance. But the fact that you were doing your own oil change tells me you're not one of those types of people.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just trying to wrap my head around something and wondering how long you've had this truck. You bought a used vehicle and never checked the oil? I'd think you would notice that it was red the first time you checked the oil level. No judgement intended. I know lots of people who do none of their own maintenance. But the fact that you were doing your own oil change tells me you're not one of those types of people.
I just bought it used, it actually is a grand caravan. Didn't smell like ATF and I know what that smells like. I've rebuilt plenty of automatic transmissions in my life. Whatever it was, it seemed to be pretty decent oil. I run Castrol 5w20 plus a can of liquid moly on every oil change. Whatever that red stuff was, it was good.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Red?! What oil doesn't come out black after a few hundred/thousand miles.

Even if it was ATF; going in; it would come out black after awhile.

You sure you don't have a drain plug on the transmission pan and you drained the transmission fluid???????????

That sound more likely than anything else.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Oil probably didn't have many miles on it......some oils start to turn red before they turn brown, then dark brown to black after so many miles.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Is Red Line oil red?
Sure its not the trans?

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil, has a slight reddish tint due to its additives. Could that be it?
I'm just guessing here, but yes, it could very well be. The oil change reminder sticker was from an oil change shop in Ottawa. I just recently bought the vehicle and was servicing it.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Red?! What oil doesn't come out black after a few hundred/thousand miles.

Even if it was ATF; going in; it would come out black after awhile.

You sure you don't have a drain plug on the transmission pan and you drained the transmission fluid???????????

That sound more likely than anything else.
Well, I rebuilt my first automatic transmission back in 1972 and lost count of the ones that I've done since. Pretty sure it wasn't ATF.
Oil, if changed often enough doesn't necessarily come out "black." Back in the days of ESSO Uniflo oil, it came out not all that much different from when it went in.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You have a 2012 - new to you truck. Do you really think it is so spotless that red motor oil would go in red and also come out red?

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a 2012 - new to you truck. Do you really think it is so spotless that red motor oil would go in red and also come out red?
I guess you missed the opening line, "I just bought it used, it is a grand caravan"

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I guess you missed the opening line, "I just bought it used, it is a grand caravan"
We're you born arrogant or was it a learned attribute?
You have a new to you Grand Caravan. Do you really think the engine is so spotless that red motor oil would go in red and also come out red?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is Red Line oil red?
Sure its not the trans?
Slight hint of red by nature, no dyes. I'm sure this fella had trans fluid in there. Like many of us know, it is used in engines for cleaning, although mis guided, it is still popular. Likely wont hurt anything/

49473455908_f32acbdc2b_c.jpg

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Slight hint of red by nature, no dyes. I'm sure this fella had trans fluid in there. Like many of us know, it is used in engines for cleaning, although mis guided, it is still popular. Likely wont hurt anything/

View attachment 548743
Dodge Grand Caravans have a transmission pan plug at the bottom of the pan. I think the OP opened that and not the motor oil plug.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You sir are sure making it tough to like you

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 548743
Redline, that is probably it. That would explain the reddish hue to the old oil. Thanks! I only use Castrol 5w20 plus a can of liquid moly in my vehicles.