Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New2dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
had a friend help me and he cracked my block by over tightening the oils pressure sensor. I got another engine from a pick and pull but it has no compression. If I pull everything off my good engine and out onto the one that has no compression, what would I need new or can I just swap over everything?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had a friend help me and he cracked my block by over tightening the oils pressure sensor. I got another engine from a pick and pull but it has no compression. If I pull everything off my good engine and out onto the one that has no compression, what would I need new or can I just swap over everything?

I know very little about the 4.7L but I see it’s a cast iron block. Your block cracked from over tightening a brass fine thread plug? Are you sure your original block is not repairable? The engine without compression will need to be rebuilt after you determine why it has no compression. How are the cylinder walls? Pistons? It’s likely that an engine without compression has more issues than no compression. Quite possibly it was overheated or the bottom end has excessive wear/damage. It could turn into an expensive adventure quickly.

As to your question about swapping parts from your original engine to the one without compression, you can’t typically use worn internals from one engine in another. They will have different wear patterns. It will need to be machined and rebuilt with new parts.