Exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, a couple months ago I noticed it was sounding a bit more "throaty" than before. Seemed to be getting worse. Changing the oil today, I crawled under and yep, there's an exhaust leak at the union between the muffler and short pipe from the y-pipe. Looks like either the bolts worked loose or it was loose from the factory, but I can feel exhaust coming out of it. Here's the rub. I figured I'd douse the bolts with Blaster, loosen them up, slip a new gasket in, and good to go. No, it seems this exhaust leak roached the bolts. Tried loosening the first one, barely put some oomph behind it, and SNAP! Now I've got one broken bolt in the muffler side that's probably still firmly attached. It's at 43,905 miles now, so it's out of warranty. I'm inclined to see if I can get the bolts at the y-pipe joint out to get the short section of pipe out, take my chances with the other bolt, and just drill out the remnants and use a stainless nut and bolt.

What say you guys? Take it to the man?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's exhaust so take your time and you'll get it done. If your talking about the Y pipe with the cats make your su unplug the 02 sensors { which are a pia located up on the bell of the transmission. Pics also help a lot for guys to understand what your saying and where your at and give better advise

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depends on what tools you have. With a saws-all and some purchased hardware, bonus points for a welder, there's not much you can't do pretty easily on your own when it comes to exhaust. Especially if its just a patch job.

Without being able to see your exact problem, I would think $30-50 and 20min on summit.com and you could fix it with just basic hand tools.

OP
OP
D

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took it to an indy shop. Looks like they just cut off the threaded part and replaced it with a nut and bolt. Ditto for its mate. They said they've seen a few of these working loose, starting leaks, and then the bolt snaps when you try to turn it, so they recommended replacing the other one too. Did them in an hour, $150.
exhaust.jpg