foam between windshield and dash - what can we do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
this is happening again on my 2017 :mad:
QpLvdqw.jpg
ySrnLTB.jpg

on my 2014 the foam somehow got sunbeat so bad the foam completely disintegrated and was not solid, it became like 50% airy foam

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would talk to a body shop and see what they recommend.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sounds like the windshield or the dash pad one has shifted somehow.

Black 20 Ram

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What is it for exactly? It's on the inside. I have the same thing and was thinking about pulling it out because it always sticks to my sunshade.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

W4RL0CK

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is it for exactly? It's on the inside. I have the same thing and was thinking about pulling it out because it always sticks to my sunshade.

My sunshade gets stuck too ...:(

Ramm5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Same same!! About 2 weeks ago
On my 19 Classic It got stuck to the shade and pulled out on passenger side about 2"-3"or so. Got my shade and pushed it back in and hasnt got stuck again.......yet!

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had that on mine too, and it was always sticking to my sun shade. I noticed it after I picked it up from the body shop after some hail damage and they replaced it for me but said I really didn't need it. But, it started to stick to the sun shade again a bit later. I kept trying to place the sticky side toward the dash and finesse it back in there and then not let the sun shade slide down as far into the channel between the dash and window. However, since I've put the DashMat back on there - the sun shade doesn't drop down as far and haven't had any issues since. I would guess that the culprits are window shades that slip down into that groove and "push" on the foam and it comes loose and sticks to the window shade. At any rate - the dash mat solved my problem. Still don't know exactly what the foam piece actually does though.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My sunshade stuck to that all the time, I finally got fed up and ripped it out of my 13 about 3 years ago

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You can go on Amazon and buy piece that goes there, is smooth on end so shouldn't have sticking issues. I put windshield interior gap in search, seen carbon fiber look ones also.

View attachment 226224
That would keep small **** like pens and leaves from getting in there. That's awesome

Black 20 Ram

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That foam dam keeps small items from falling in the gap. It's primary reasons for being there is to damp air noise/road noise, under hood noise and to keep any errant sunshine from getting to the urethane that holds the windshield in place. When you get your windshield replaced, make sure the glass guy replaces that foam dam, it's part of the job.

KenR 955
Former auto glass shop owner.