For the 7-pin Experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is no way to disable the back-up camera, and it irritates the hell out of me when it blinks on and I can see it out of the corner of my eye every time I put it in reverse when I'm trying to watch my mirrors (especially at night, even though the screen is dimmed as much as possible), so I put a piece of electrical tape over the lens. The camera still comes on, but the screen is dark. However, when a trailer with brakes is connected to the 7-pin socket the back-up camera is automatically disabled.

So, the question is: Is there some way to fool the system by jerry-rigging a 7-pin connector with a feed-back loop to make it think a trailer is connected? Something I can just leave plugged in all the time. Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Have you looked at the connector that plugs into the camera

I did not take pix of my 2016 Ram, when i had the tailgate Inspection Cover off.

I would have to assume that power has to go to both the Back Up Camera & the Tailgate Lock pigtails

HemiDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That happened to our truck, and it turned out to be a pinched wiring harness. Look between the bottom of the tailgate and where the wiring goes to the body connector. The clip that secured the harness to the bottom of the tailgate had broken, so every time the tailgate was lowered and raised, the harness became pinched. A new clip and zip tie fixed it, just happy no wires were broken in the harness. Camera still works fine.