Headlight Nightmare... Possibly bad dimmer switch????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quadrunnerjake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD HO
So basically i got myself a set of NHK projectors and retrofitted them into the autosaver 88 single piece headlights [non sport]. tested the plugs before i started building the harness. so after testing the pins i got : Low beam; pin1 12v pin 2 grnd, pin 3 inactive Hi beam; pin 1 ground, pin 2 inactive, pin 3 12v also noted that pin 1 is +12v even when headlights are off. So i built the harness and in the meantime something happened and now pin 3 is always hot. im over 12 hours into building the harness and this ****ery happens. im assuming a bad dimmer switch? the hi beam indicator still works which throws me off. pin 1 still acts normal switching from hot to ground when switching from lo to hi beam but pin 3 stays hot even with the truck off now. pin 1 is normally hot when truck is off but that should be the only pin hot when off.

My harness is wired like this; pin 1 goes to relay coil, pin 2 and 3 go to the other end of the relay coil. in theory when low beam is active pin 1 will give hot and pin 2 will give ground to activate coil, in hi beam pin 1 is ground and pin 3 provides 12v to coil. this allows the relay to activate during high and lo beam to keep the projector powered. the projector hi beam solenoid is wired to pin 1 and 3 directly and only activates during high beam. since pin 2 and 3 completely disconnect from circuit during lo and hi beam operation [no continuity] i decided not to use schottky diodes for reverse current protection. i do have them if i need them but i dont think so since there isnt continuity between the pins 2 and 3 when low or hi beam is active. the harness isnt plugged into anything now and i currently have no headlights so please help with any advice.
thanks in advance,
Jacob

OP
OP
Q

Quadrunnerjake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD HO
From what i can tell on the confusing diagrams in the service manual pin 3 is controlled by the dimmer switch {stalk for brights}. This pin use to switch between inactive [no cotinuity] to hot 12v now it just stays hot all the time. For what its worth it is a 2001 ram 2500 HO