Help with drilling/tapping thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

Doom It Yourselfer
Reaction score
On my back with a beer, ratchet, and cuss words
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, long story short, over the course of replacing my steering gear, one of the stabilizer bar bracket bolt holes got trashed (I needed to remove my steering stabilizer, which attaches directly to the gear, and is held in place by the sway bar brackets). Threading in a new bolt goes in a little bit, but as soon as it starts tightening down, it pops out. Upon removing the fastener, it's coated with metal shavings, presumably remnants of what's left of the threads. Looking in the hole with a flashlight, there are maybe a couple turns worth of threads left, everything above them is just gone. I had a feeling this was gonna happen as the top half of old fastener that came out was completely rusted and wiped of threads.

It's pretty obvious that I'm going to have to cut new threads with a tap of sorts, but, having never actually done this before, I'm pretty much in kindergarten here. Problem is, I kinda need to graduate to high school real damned quick as I really don't think I'm gonna last long driving around with only one fastener on that bracket.

I'm not getting the fullest of proceedings after looking around online. As best I can figure, I don't think I'm going to get away with simply running a tap and "cleaning up" the threads as there aren't any threads left to clean up. It seems that I'm going to have to drill out the hole to a larger size and use the correct, larger tap, is this right? Would my $20 Walmart drill have enough ass to pull this off? Is there a particular type of drill bit that I need, or do "tap and dye" sets come with what I'll need?

This is far from the first time I've encountered stripped fastener threads, and it's getting high time to learn how to fix them properly, especially since THIS time, I'm not gonna get away with a cobble fix, LOL.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you share a picture with us? I think I know what you're talking about but a picture would help tremendously.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Okay, long story short, over the course of replacing my steering gear, one of the stabilizer bar bracket bolt holes got trashed (I needed to remove my steering stabilizer, which attaches directly to the gear, and is held in place by the sway bar brackets). Threading in a new bolt goes in a little bit, but as soon as it starts tightening down, it pops out. Upon removing the fastener, it's coated with metal shavings, presumably remnants of what's left of the threads. Looking in the hole with a flashlight, there are maybe a couple turns worth of threads left, everything above them is just gone. I had a feeling this was gonna happen as the top half of old fastener that came out was completely rusted and wiped of threads.

It's pretty obvious that I'm going to have to cut new threads with a tap of sorts, but, having never actually done this before, I'm pretty much in kindergarten here. Problem is, I kinda need to graduate to high school real damned quick as I really don't think I'm gonna last long driving around with only one fastener on that bracket.

I'm not getting the fullest of proceedings after looking around online. As best I can figure, I don't think I'm going to get away with simply running a tap and "cleaning up" the threads as there aren't any threads left to clean up. It seems that I'm going to have to drill out the hole to a larger size and use the correct, larger tap, is this right? Would my $20 Walmart drill have enough ass to pull this off? Is there a particular type of drill bit that I need, or do "tap and dye" sets come with what I'll need?

This is far from the first time I've encountered stripped fastener threads, and it's getting high time to learn how to fix them properly, especially since THIS time, I'm not gonna get away with a cobble fix, LOL.
Google how to restore threads using a Heli-coil insert

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

Doom It Yourselfer
Reaction score
On my back with a beer, ratchet, and cuss words
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Can you share a picture with us? I think I know what you're talking about but a picture would help tremendously.
I can't at the moment. I was actually able to get the new fastener to grab the remaining threads, although it's certainly not even close to being torqued properly (it pops out if you try). I'm probably going to use a ratchet strap as a (veeery) temporary "fix" to hold the load on that side until it's properly sorted since I got a pretty good suspicion that if I don't, the weight of everything plus the front end bouncing up and down will tear it out, and possibly the one behind it, which would pretty much double my trouble, LOL.

Google Timeserts. Sets come with drills and everything you need to make threads better than original,
These look exactly like what I need! Only question now is how long of inserts I should order. The factory bolts are 35mm length, but I'm using 40mm ones due to the extra layer of steel as a result of my steering stabilizer. My thinking is that the fasteners stick out from the frame once they're screwed in all the way, so a 30mm insert sounds about right. Next length up is 40mm, and I think that will be too long and stick out of the frame once it's seated in place. Next size down is 24.5mm, but that might be too short? The frame is boxed, so I can't actually see just how far the bolt sticks out once it's in all the way.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out keenserts too, that is what I was going to recommend if you have enough room.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StunnaJB