Ideal coolant and oil temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just put new motor and radiator in my 2013 ram 5.7 so I am tracking oil temp and pressures always and seeing some numbers that I wonder about.

1. My collant temps hover around 197-205 max.

2. Engine oil with 5w20 hovers between 205 @ 210.

With 5w30 it goes from 210 to 220.
I have never scene oil temp past 220. Which I am ok with.

The question is what oil temp range is best for engine life and protection. I know hotter is better for emissions and fuel economy, and I don't want to give any mileage back, but I also want my motor to last as long or longer then original 330k.

I thought it interesting that oil temps when up with heavier oil, it's not that much different afterall..

I also have a catch can which empties a few table spoons every time I remember to empty it.

Also if anyone can share exact temps clutxh fan and ac fan are supposed to engage that would be helpful.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just put new motor and radiator in my 2013 ram 5.7 so I am tracking oil temp and pressures always and seeing some numbers that I wonder about.

1. My collant temps hover around 197-205 max.

2. Engine oil with 5w20 hovers between 205 @ 210.

With 5w30 it goes from 210 to 220.
I have never scene oil temp past 220. Which I am ok with.

The question is what oil temp range is best for engine life and protection. I know hotter is better for emissions and fuel economy, and I don't want to give any mileage back, but I also want my motor to last as long or longer then original 330k.

I thought it interesting that oil temps when up with heavier oil, it's not that much different afterall..

I also have a catch can which empties a few table spoons every time I remember to empty it.

Also if anyone can share exact temps clutxh fan and ac fan are supposed to engage that would be helpful.
I'm guessing the oil temps with 5W-20 were from the old engine,and the oil temps with 5W-30 are from the new engine.
The old engine would of been a touch looser on bearing clearances,contributing to lower oil temps.
If those temps are from the new engine,either you're driving it differant between the 2 differant weights of oil,or the 5W-30 temps were from when the engine was first installed and was tight,then you switched to 5W-20 on the first oil change,once you get a thousand or so miles on an engine,it'll start to break-in and loosen up,and oil temps will usually come down.
None of those temps are anything to worry about though

Last edited:
OP
OP

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nope.
New motor Installed on June 24. First oil change done at 400 miles with mobile 1 full synthetic 5w20.
2nd oil change done after 3800 miles to mobile 1 5w30.

Truck runs hotter with 5w30, probable 5 degrees on average. I will go back to 5w20 after another 4k miles and see how motor reacts. So far I am leaning toward 30w as it just seams smoother and quieter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nope.
New motor Installed on June 24. First oil change done at 400 miles with mobile 1 full synthetic 5w20.
2nd oil change done after 3800 miles to mobile 1 5w30.

Truck runs hotter with 5w30, probable 5 degrees on average. I will go back to 5w20 after another 4k miles and see how motor reacts. So far I am leaning toward 30w as it just seams smoother and quieter.
Stick with 5W-30,and you should look into adding a bottle of Lubegard Bio Tech with each oil change.

OP
OP

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After watching lots of videos from "the motor oil geek" I don't think it's advisable to add additives to good quality synthetic motor oils without deep research into additive packages. I believe high quality motor oils have the additives required to protect our motors and messing with additives could be counter productive.
I just did an oil change yesterday.
Poured bottle of seafoam In crank and ran truck for an hour, then drained oil and filter.
Used penzoil ultra platinum 5w30 and fram xtraguard xg2 filter.
It was snug but the fram is a little bigger filter, but it fit.
Mobil 1 onlybhad 2300 miles on it , but I wanted to swap to.penzoil and give it a try. Gonna do another change in a few weeks and then run full 4k miles and send oil out to Blackstone for analysis.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you're looking for high quality, I might suggest ditching that Fram filter for something a little better. :)

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After watching lots of videos from "the motor oil geek" I don't think it's advisable to add additives to good quality synthetic motor oils without deep research into additive packages. I believe high quality motor oils have the additives required to protect our motors and messing with additives could be counter productive.
I just did an oil change yesterday.
Poured bottle of seafoam In crank and ran truck for an hour, then drained oil and filter.
Used penzoil ultra platinum 5w30 and fram xtraguard xg2 filter.
It was snug but the fram is a little bigger filter, but it fit.
Mobil 1 onlybhad 2300 miles on it , but I wanted to swap to.penzoil and give it a try. Gonna do another change in a few weeks and then run full 4k miles and send oil out to Blackstone for analysis.
That filter is the suggested filter for my wife's grocery getter

Never made sense that a car takes a filter almost twice the size of the truck filter

OP
OP

2013ramboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read all the filter reviews and it looks like consensus here is the fram xg2 is a good choice. The stock mopar filter is waaay smaller. The fram xg2 is taller and significantly wider then stock.