MMX no tune required cam. Anyone running it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You're the only guy running a 170 T-stat on a stock untuned truck with no cel.You better go buy a couple lottery tickets,lol. Outdoor temp really doesn't have much to do with whether 170 thermostat trips a cel or not.You can get away with a 180 t-stat on an untuned truck with-out a cel usually,but you're the only guy running a 170 t-stat on an untuned truck and getting away with it,like i said you better go buy a couple lottery tickets,as you have horseshoes up where the sun don't shine,lol

Second truck. Last Ram had 180* again no issues.
As for 170* I asked Jay Greene which to use. Installed it 4 yrs ago. I have pics showing 170 vs 180 and final temp is the same. I asked Jay Greene about this. He stated "only difference is the 170* opens sooner". Maybe that plays into it? Unknown. You don't have to believe me. I'm cool with that. Peace.

170 t-stat.jpg

2016 Ram 170 stat.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Second truck. Last Ram had 180* again no issues.
As for 170* I asked Jay Greene which to use. Installed it 4 yrs ago. I have pics showing 170 vs 180 and final temp is the same. I asked Jay Greene about this. He stated "only difference is the 170* opens sooner". Maybe that plays into it? Unknown. You don't have to believe me. I'm cool with that. Peace.

View attachment 227556

View attachment 227557

If you're asking Jay about T-stats,i'm guessing you're truck is tuned by him then. As Jay doesn't usually reconmend 170 T-stats on untuned trucks. If you're already tuned,which by you're earlier post where you broke the PCM locking tabs it sounds like you might be,why are you worried about doing a cam or long tubes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you're asking Jay about T-stats,i'm guessing you're truck is tuned by him then. As Jay doesn't usually reconmend 170 T-stats on untuned trucks. If you're already tuned,which by you're earlier post where you broke the PCM locking tabs,why are you worried about doing a cam or long tubes

Previous Ram was, not this one.
Your looking to punch holes in my story. I see that.
Yes, previous Ram was tuned by Jay. I attempted to tune this ram and broke tabs and returned PCM/Tuner. So the current Ram isn't tuned. Nor do I have a CEL.
I only had questions about LT and cam. Not interested in tuning it until tabs are fixed.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Previous Ram was, not this one.
Your looking to punch holes in my story. I see that.
Yes, previous Ram was tuned by Jay. I attempted to tune this ram and broke tabs and returned PCM/Tuner. So the current Ram isn't tuned. Nor do I have a CEL.
I only had questions about LT and cam. Not interested in tuning it until tabs are fixed.

More like wondering why you don't want to tune it,especially if you're looking for more power from a cam swap.Fix the connector you broke would be your first priority,it's really easy to get at if you pull the heads to replace the lifters while you're doing the cam. Most of us are wondering why you're going to all that work to add horsepower and not willing to tune it,just doesn't make sense to the majority of us.FYI i still question you're claim about running a 170 T-stat /no tune and not getting a cel,you're truck is a Unicorn if you're getting away with that combo.You can argue that point all you want,but nobody else has ever got away with a 170 T-stat on a stock untuned truck,even if they live in Dubia or Death Valley,lol

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
More like wondering why you don't want to tune it,especially if you're looking for more power from a cam swap.Fix the connector you broke would be your first priority,it's really easy to get at if you pull the heads to replace the lifters while you're doing the cam. Most of us are wondering why you're going to all that work to add horsepower and not willing to tune it,just doesn't make sense to the majority of us.FYI i still question you're claim about running a 170 T-stat /no tune and not getting a cel,you're truck is a Unicorn if you're getting away with that combo.You can argue that point all you want,but nobody else has ever got away with a 170 T-stat on a stock untuned truck,even if they live in Dubia or Death Valley,lol

I found the connector but no info after asking and searching how to do it. If someone who has broke theirs also has fixed it wants to chime in I am all ears.
As for calling me a liar, not cool. I think you need to reseach more. Again, I am sorry someone has lied to you in your life you no longer trust people.
On that note, I have put you on ignore and flagged you for harrasement. Good day.
Now, for those who have read this. I'll explain what "Wild one" is missing. Outside weather plays into this and this is why. The CEL comes on with a 170* stat for those on the east coast because its colder. The PCM sees the truck not getting warm in "x amount" of time and puts out a CEL. It assume the t-stat failed or is leaking. But, for those in warmer climate like AZ, TX, etc the truck warms up quickly regardless and PCM knows no difference. Regardless. Pics posted above of t-stat I use. I have tried 190, 180, and 170*. The 180 and 170* gave me the same final temps of 185*. As Jay Greene said, final temp is the same, its just the 170* open sooner. Sorry this turned into a facebook arguement. I thought RF was better than that.
Wild one, I ignored you. No need to Argue what I know as facts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I found the connector but no info after asking and searching how to do it. If someone who has broke theirs also has fixed it wants to chime in I am all ears.
As for calling me a liar, not cool. I think you need to reseach more. Again, I am sorry someone has lied to you in your life you no longer trust people.
On that note, I have put you on ignore and flagged you for harrasement. Good day.
Now, for those who have read this. I'll explain what "Wild one" is missing. Outside weather plays into this and this is why. The CEL comes on with a 170* stat for those on the east coast because its colder. The PCM sees the truck not getting warm in "x amount" of time and puts out a CEL. It assume the t-stat failed or is leaking. But, for those in warmer climate like AZ, TX, etc the truck warms up quickly regardless and PCM knows no difference. Regardless. Pics posted above of t-stat I use. I have tried 190, 180, and 170*. The 180 and 170* gave me the same final temps of 185*. As Jay Greene said, final temp is the same, its just the 170* open sooner. Sorry this turned into a facebook arguement. I thought RF was better than that.
Wild one, I ignored you. No need to Argue what I know as facts.

Thank christ ,as you read way more into things then needed,lol. Nowhere did i call you a liar,i just questioned why you're doing what you're doing,lol. BTW outdoor temp "does" not have anything to do with a 170 T-stat turning on a cel,unless the outdoor temp is above 170F,lol. You aren't any warmer in the winter then anywhere else is in the summer sorry to say,lol.
BTW do a search on here,as there's posts on how to repair the PCM connector,if you spend a few minutes with the search tab at the top.
You must think you're special if you figure i called you a liar,lol.

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Thank christ ,as you read way more into things then needed,lol. Nowhere did i call you a liar,i just questioned why you're doing what you're doing,lol. BTW outdoor temp "does" not have anything to do with a 170 T-stat turning on a cel,unless the outdoor temp is above 170F,lol. You aren't any warmer in the winter then anywhere else is in the summer sorry to say,lol.
BTW do a search on here,as there's posts on how to repair the PCM connector,if you spend a few minutes with the search tab at the top.
You must think you're special if you figure i called you a liar,lol.
Jesus Christ...someone-is-sensitive.jpg

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've ran lower thermostats on different applications, usually high compression engines that wanted to get the coolant moving sooner. Ultimately, they all seemed to run the same temperature after running for a while.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've ran lower thermostats on different applications, usually high compression engines that wanted to get the coolant moving sooner. Ultimately, they all seemed to run the same temperature after running for a while.

Agree. The 170 and 180* run the same at final temp. This is my normal temp in both my Rams. Much better than 203*.

2016 Ram 170 stat.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I run a 160 in my truck,the engine still runs at 185 on the EVIC,but the 8 speed runs noticably cooler,and the heater output sucks,you'll freeze to death if the outdoor temp is much below 30F,lol.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
so after reading some of this post you state that the locks are broken on the PCM connectors. If you reach out to Benny in the vendor section he should be able to hook you up with the connector parts to fix them. Fairly common issue and i would say advice on that is anytime you are removing any of them clean the connector with electrical cleaner prior to trying to unlock them.

As far as the cam not needing a tune that itself would be nice and a fix for several of the eaten cams that the hemis like to chew up as personally a stock replacement wouldnt even be on the short list to repair a truck that had eaten one. With that said regardless of it not setting a CEL without having to tune the truck with proper tuning and a cam it will always run better and be best bang for the buck long run. May just be a solid option for an aftermarket cam until money could be save to do tuning.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where are you getting that a tuner and a PCM swap is $1500? I just did this last week. The difference was fricken AMAZING. Like, it actually scared me a little when I went to get on the expressway today and I was doing 92mph like RIGHT NOW. $499.00 from Moe's for tuner and Unlocked PCM swap. HemiFever tune for only $125.00 more.

http://www.moes-performance.com/2015_18_Ram_Diablo_i3_w_PCM_Exhange_p/i3-pcm-exchange.htm
I just looked at the Moe's site and the price listed for the tuner and pcm is $999.00.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really don't get this desire to avoid a tune. Anything worth doing is going to require a tune. Anything else is just :manos:

I’ve avoided a tuner because I have lifetime powertrain warranty and don’t want the tuner footprint on board when they scan my computer should my engine fail and then they deny me warranty

Edit: I have an ‘09.

If you can direct me to a tuner that absolutely does not leave a footprint-I’d be interested

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I’ve avoided a tuner because I have lifetime powertrain warranty and don’t want the tuner footprint on board when they scan my computer should my engine fail and then they deny me warranty

I have a separate PCM just for that reason. 2015 was the first year of locked PCM so I had to purchase an unlocked PCM at the time when the service was first offered. At some point ill send in my stock one to unlock. Maybe offload one in the future. Recoup some extra expenses

Resurrected Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Since this thread is a year old I would like to assume everyone has cooled the jets. So in leu of this I ask the question of has anyone actually ran this cam? For it does keep the mds system