More stuff on the I-6 Crate Hurricane.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe someone laughed when i said they were going to up the power on these, welp, there you have it. its in the works :)

The wait for Dodge’s latest crate engines is over now that Mopar is releasing the “Hurricrate” series, which comprises two different versions of the same engine based on the Hurricane inline-six. The new crate engines put modern twin-turbo power under the hood of whatever machine you can dream of, or whatever engine bay will fit the drop-in Hurricane, leading us to ask: What car would you stuff the new Hurricrate engine in?

The crate engines will be available starting this August, either as the Hurricrate Cat 1 or Cat 3. The Hurricrate Cat 1 is the “entry-level” engine according to Mopar Insiders, but it’s still a 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight-six making 420 horsepower and 468 lb-ft of torque at 2,500 rpm. The turbos deliver up to 22 psi of peak boost, and the engine has a compression ratio of 10.4:1. It’ll cost $10,495 from Mopar’s Direct Connection or at dealers.

The Hurricrate Cat 3 is also a 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight-six, but it gets upgraded twin Garrett turbochargers, among other things, to make a total of 550 hp and 531 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm. The Garrett twin turbos deliver 26 psi of peak boost and the engine’s compression ratio drops to 9.5:1, but Mopar still recommends pumping premium fuel. The more powerful version of the Hurricane crate engine will start at $13,745.

There will be yet another more powerful version of the Hurricrate available later, meant to be used for drag racing builds and other “high-performance” applications, but the specs of that motor are still unknown. Whether it’s a drag, drift, or gnarly restomod, the Hurricrate brings Dodge’s latest engine to your project.

1723637404254.png
1723637427865.png

1723637506978.png

Last edited:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$10,5 to buy the crate, then another $10k+ for electronics to cobble together and try to make it run right? Nahh. No thanks. Nope. Huh-uh. Not interested. Pass.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The electronics are all there, check out the Hemi crate engines,
they have been available for a few years.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m too old and old school. I’ll drive a 6 cylinder for a daily driver, primary driver, whatever. But my other garage is full of 8 cylinder NA beasts from yesteryear that may not be as quick, but have more soul and visceral appeal to me. I’ll let the kids mess with the Hurricane hot rods.