Never use Rainx???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
I had to get a chip filled, and my windshield is getting kinda "sparkly" with mico chips I guess...
The Windshield guy told me RainX is the worst thing for a windshield because it softens the glass? Lets even the smallest particle will leave a chip?
I dunno...
I'm about to use Glass Stripper to get a deep clean anyway.
BUT, my question: so is it okay to use a ceramic glass coating afterwards?
Is Glass stripper's Ceramic Kit okay to use?
Anything else instead?

I know this is probably "another windshield thread" but I just wanna do the right thing

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had to get a chip filled, and my windshield is getting kinda "sparkly" with mico chips I guess...
The Windshield guy told me RainX is the worst thing for a windshield because it softens the glass? Lets even the smallest particle will leave a chip?
I dunno...
I'm about to use Glass Stripper to get a deep clean anyway.
BUT, my question: so is it okay to use a ceramic glass coating afterwards?
Is Glass stripper's Ceramic Kit okay to use?
Anything else instead?

I know this is probably "another windshield thread" but I just wanna do the right thing
I've never used rain x so I can't help you there. I've had some rocks big enough that'***** my windshield that sounds like somebody shot at me and not crack but I've also had some hit me that I didn't think much about it and ended up cracking so I won't be able to help you much.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with that mess. I would buy a bottle of this and do your exterior and glass. It will last for months. Super easy to apply and remove.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I will add this. I coat my glass with Undrdog pro or pro + depending on what I have on hand. It tends to last 4-6 months, but it eventually fails due to how often you use your windshield washer fluid. Its harsh and meant to break down bug guts so it really does a number on the coating. You could also look into this as an option as well, but just make sure you do your home work on how to clean the glass and install. You don't want to have to polish glass. It can be a PITA.

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never used rain x so I can't help you there. I've had some rocks big enough that'***** my windshield that sounds like somebody shot at me and not crack but I've also had some hit me that I didn't think much about it and ended up cracking so I won't be able to help you much.
I don't use it either per say... I think I bought a wiper fluid that was rainX cuz I was in a hurry.
The Windshield guy said he noticed the "beading action" and then proceeded to tell me Windshields should never get products like that. blah blah

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lol, I have no idea what word I used that got bleeped out. Funny!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Softening glass? Highly doubt it. Glass is one of the most chemical resistant materials out there. Depending on what type of course. And coatings are a different story.

The only thing that comes to mind for Rainx and our trucks is I have read that we shouldn't use the orange Rainx wiper fluid because it has a tendency to clog the nozzles and crystalize or clog the pump in the reservoir.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Softening glass? Highly doubt it. Glass is one of the most chemical resistant materials out there. Depending on what type of course. And coatings are a different story.

The only thing that comes to mind for Rainx and our trucks is I have read that we shouldn't use the orange Rainx wiper fluid because it has a tendency to clog the nozzles and crystalize or clog the pump in the reservoir.
Correct, clogs and does a number on the sensors in the reservoir, and I'll use the adverb allegedly. I only Use the "blue" washer fluid and I always use 0 degrees F solution: I do not switch between summer and winter blends. I also have a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol on a shelf to dump in if the temp here gets below 0 F. Seen that once during freak storm in 2021.

Never heard of Rain-X softening glass, that's a new one.... Written on internet, gotta be true? LMAO

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rain-X will not soften your glass. I've used it for years, both the type you squirt on and then rub in with a towel, and type you put in your washer reservoir. No issues.
I did hear, read somewhere that a "hammer" could soften the glass also, roflmao

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I am glad this is probably pure bull$t, I expected as much since it came from a man who just fills cracks for a living.
He mentioned that RainX had an "oil" in it that made the surface soft.
I always thought RainX was nothing but Denatured Alcohol and a wax combo.

Thanks for the replies!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Rain-X should never be used on plexiglas, like motorcycle windshields.

Rain-X does make a plastic water repellent product that can be used on motorcycle windscreens, but their original glass treatment is not intended for use on motorcycle windscreens:

From a Harley Davidson Forum:

Just got off the phone with Rain-x. Tex was right. Started to destroy windshield the minute I put it on. The tech said to use Flitz chrome & plastic cleaner or McQuires Plas-x (sold at walmart).
He also said there is a product called Plexus by (Arrow shell.com) that the pilots use on their planes.
He said that he has heard some people have brought the windshields back. Said I have a 50/50 chance

Plexus® was developed for use in aviation, specifically for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces. Its quite simply the most effective product you can buy for cleaning, polishing and protecting all clear and colored plastics and painted surfaces.

Just thought about my old 1956 Chevy 1/2 ton
I did not have a windshield wiper motor for a period of time

I rubbed Hand Cleaner, i think it was MOJO ?? onto the windshield, rubbed it in until it disappeared.
It worked better than the OEM Vacuum powered motor

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Plexus® was developed for use in aviation, specifically for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces. Its quite simply the most effective product you can buy for cleaning, polishing and protecting all clear and colored plastics and painted surfaces.

I used Plexus a bunch. Polishing compound on old light bars then Plexus removed the cloudiness and then protected them. Motorcycle helmet visors, etc.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thinking about this, it seems if Rain-X could soften glass, wouldn't soft glass be more impact-resistant, where the softness would absorb some or all impact. A quick search of the Internet resulted in an overwhelming response of "RainX contains nothing that will etch or harm glass." It appears that detail shops spread this misinformation in the hopes of up-selling.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LOL! What will they come up with next? I use RainX after every wash and have for over 25 years. Awesome product. Unreal difference in the rain. I have a buddy that owns a glass shop, and he asked me if I used RainX when he fixed a chip in our diesel pushers windshield, as the stuff they inject acted a little funny. I said yes, and asked if that was a problem. He said no. The fix has held for years, and I still use RainX on it.

Never used the stuff you put in the WW reservoir.