new to the site hi to all my name is mark up in canada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
hi to all i have a2012 dodge ram 1500 outdoorsman with a 5.7 hemi i had the hemi tick about 2 mths ago when it bent my#5 intake push rod like a canadian hockey stick and remove about 3/16 of material off my cam so into the rbuild i did every right on the build do to it started up just fine iwas vary happy about that part of the build oo did i mention that iinstalled 6.4 stock cam in it and it was a non MDS cam and lifters set the truck starts fine all day long the codes im getting are as fallowed p2127, p2167, 2166, p2116, p2115 these codes are putting me in to limp mode i have a scanner tool D7 from xtool i cant turn off my mds with this tool or cant find out how to i do the learn app and it shows that it has learned but still in limp mode i have replaced my throttle body any app{gas pedel] i have checked wires they look to be good my volts at the pedal and throttle are 5 volts thats enough for now im looking for wire diagrams for the above mentioned there is no mods done other then mds delete any help would be most greatfull thks mark please keep your stick on the ice

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
hi to all i have a2012 dodge ram 1500 outdoorsman with a 5.7 hemi i had the hemi tick about 2 mths ago when it bent my#5 intake push rod like a canadian hockey stick and remove about 3/16 of material off my cam so into the rbuild i did every right on the build do to it started up just fine iwas vary happy about that part of the build oo did i mention that iinstalled 6.4 stock cam in it and it was a non MDS cam and lifters set the truck starts fine all day long the codes im getting are as fallowed p2127, p2167, 2166, p2116, p2115 these codes are putting me in to limp mode i have a scanner tool D7 from xtool i cant turn off my mds with this tool or cant find out how to i do the learn app and it shows that it has learned but still in limp mode i have replaced my throttle body any app{gas pedel] i have checked wires they look to be good my volts at the pedal and throttle are 5 volts thats enough for now im looking for wire diagrams for the above mentioned there is no mods done other then mds delete any help would be most greatfull thks mark please keep your stick on the ice
You're going to need a custom tune to make that cam work.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2 guys with a 6.4 cam in a 5.7 having issues on the same day,at virtually the same time,i'm starting to think maybe troll posts,especially when both just joined today,and both have a 2012.
Seems mighty fishy to me,if ya'll's asking me ;) :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
If you search turn off MDS you will find the answer to your question. there are 20 pages of posts on the topic.

View attachment 548725View attachment 548725
2 guys with a 6.4 cam in a 5.7 having issues on the same day,at virtually the same time,i'm starting to think maybe troll posts,especially when both just joined today,and both have a 2012.
Seems mighty fishy to me,if ya'll's asking me ;) :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
well i can tell you that im not a troll i have a 2012 dodge ram with a new rebuilt 5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam LOOKING for help please step a side and let others help me

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
back to business so if you think i need a tune why and what do anyone suggest

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
Pics of my motor

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 11

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As @Wild one said above you need a tune.
Can't just make change like that without it. Everything is controlled by computer/software.

Look at HP Tune software. Then you would likely have to pay Tuner. You can find local or remote people.

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
my lifter turned sideways and gracefully removed about 3/16 of material on #5 intake hows that for thicker skin and a sense of humor OO did you see my new hockey stick hehehe you cant see me right now but im rolling around my front yard lmao

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
ok thanks for the info and help im leaning to a diablo sport tuner i3 and im going to look a hp tuner too thanks to canRebel&wild one . as for Hemilonestar you can learn from theses two guys these guys are vary helpfull ps im working on my sence of humor

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok thanks for the info and help im leaning to a diablo sport tuner i3 and im going to look a hp tuner too thanks to canRebel&wild one . as for Hemilonestar you can learn from theses two guys these guys are vary helpfull ps im working on my sence of humor
Welcome to the group

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
as for Hemilonestar you can learn from theses two guys these guys are vary helpfull ps im working on my sence of humor
I'm a mechanic, soooo......also, I'm not the one who did all the facebook research, put a 392 car cam in a truck, didn't tune it, etc etc but you go on, boy lol.
Also humbly suggest actual typing and not using talk to text.....
Did you use a 392 cam and enginetech lifters....?

back to business so if you think i need a tune why and what do anyone suggest
The heart of the engine is the cam, the brain the PCM. The electronic parameters within the PCM are based on the mechanical parameters of the cam and VVT. Making a significant change to one requires a significant change to match with the other if you want everything to work correctly.

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
no i will post the cam number for you 05037379BC from summit as for talk text nope can't you tell im typing do to i'm vary bad at it, still working on my sense of humor hehe

OP
OP
mrp2112

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
so the 392 stock cam should work in a stock 5.7 hemi as i was informed car or truck so now i have sent email to HP TUNES waiting for a reply thanks for playing nice with me Hemilonestar hehehe stil working on my humor side inprogress any tips

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
so the 392 stock cam should work in a stock 5.7 hemi as i was informed car or truck so now i have sent email to HP TUNES waiting for a reply thanks for playing nice with me Hemilonestar hehehe stil working on my humor side inprogress any tips
Even tuned,it still won't have a hell'va lot of bottem end torque,above 3500 rpm it'll start to pull good,but it'll be lazy until it's above that.Either swap in a better truck cam,or stick a 4,000 stall convertor behind the engine. That cam is designed for a car that weighes a good 1,000lbs less then your truck,and has a manual transmission behind it,it's not going to work great in a truck with a 5/6 speed automatic.You might want to back off on Hemilonestar,as he's pretty good with these trucks,and is a guy you might want to listen to,but he doesn't have much patience like alot of us for smart-ass comments.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You might want to back off on Hemilonestar,as he's pretty good with these trucks,and is a guy you might want to listen to,but he doesn't have much patience like alot of us for smart-ass comments.
Pot meet kettle lol. I have alot of patience....I put up with you, don't I?Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 11-35-36 2024 Post Ho Thread Page 74 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper T...png

Even tuned,it still won't have a hell'va lot of bottem end torque,above 3500 rpm it'll start to pull good,but it'll be lazy until it's above that.Either swap in a better truck cam,or stick a 4,000 stall convertor behind the engine. That cam is designed for a car that weighes a good 1,000lbs less then your truck,and has a manual transmission behind it,it's not going to work great in a truck with a 5/6 speed automatic.
The cam you used is very similar to the one in my 392; it's a little more since it's a stick cam vs the auto cam, but the characteristics are pretty much the same. Like he said, the punch is mid-range to high rpm and made to work with a bit more displacement and a lot less weight. The car transmissions also have a bit more 1st gear than the crap RFE you have so even down low I can effortlessly roast 295's. If you insist on sticking with that cam, either a converter swap (as suggested) a whole lot more gearing (like 4.56's) or even a trans swap (it would work much better with a ZF trans) but it is likely you still wouldn't be completely happy with it. There are better options out there, usually people with 5.7 cars who want to delete MDS and/or need a new cam use that cam since they're generally cheap (or at least used to be, nothing is cheap anymore) but even then, there are better options.