Ok, dumb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's been a while since I've done my brakes due to health issues. I had a buddy start to do the rears and he showed me that one caliper was completely shot and the other had the pads wearing strangely. I'm m going to have to replace one rotor and I actually have three new ones but can't remember which is bigger. I know usually it's the front but I seem to remember ( sort of) these being different. 2009 RAM TRX 4 CREW 5.7 HEMI.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Ok, dumb answer: technically you didn't ask a question...

I'm curious about your "pads wearing strangely" and what specifically it is that you are replacing.
But to answer what I think you are inquiring about: It is the front brakes that are always bigger on all vehicles. Because they do more/most of the work due to inertia of the weight transferring forward. The weight on the rear wheels is actually reduced when you are braking, making them easier to lock up. that weight is transferred forward and therefore the weight on the front tires gets heavier, making them more difficult to lock up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both rear calipers, one of the rotors has a substantial lip on it. The outer pad on the driver's side was very worn on the front , more than the back.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Personally, when I do brakes on any vehicle I put on new rotors and pads + anything abnormally wearing like one side of a brake pad set (Ex: front left) is wearing heavily on just one side I inspect the caliper and usually replace the flex brake line with it depending on mileage, how it looks, test results, etc. Many years back I was thrown in the ditch on a country gravel road due to bad brakes (caliper locked up) and left a lasting impression on me where I won't do that again to save a few bucks. Nor will I put my family members in that situation. To me just not worth it.

Not affiliated with them, but RockAuto.com is one place you can find (many times) name brand parts, source P/N's, etc and save some money from what I've found. Heavy items like rotors it always depends on shipping costs due to weight and warehouse vs. your location for cost. So price checking between your other preferred places, Amazon, and Rock Auto you can figure out how to shave some cost when you have to start replacing a few things. For caliper issues when/if I have them, I always replace the flex brake line going to it. And bonus, when you bleed your old brake fluid out when brakes are back in proper working order, you've got some great piece of mind knowing it done and done right!