Problem ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14ram8104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having this problem with my truck which it starts I drive a block and it shut off. Will not read key fobs. Just shuts off and coasts to a stop. I did some looking and a lot referring to bcm but I'm afraid to get one pay to program it and it not be the fix anyone else had this issue before.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Rule out ignition, you can bypass using cig lighter relay for cheap. If it is ignition, you can use bypass for a long time, or even clean the contacts in the ignition stator, there are youtubes on it, this is 2500, same principal just verify cig relay. research win module..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are there any 'codes', is the check-engine light on? A flaky cam or crank sensor can cause intermittent engine stalling. If you or someone you know has a scanner, or you can get the truck to a parts store they can do a free scan for you. It would be good to at least see if there's anything obvious the truck has registered.

You should definitely first check/clean you tk's battery connections. And check major grounds back by the gas tank filler tube and above the plastic door ..above the driver's L tire (they get real rusty sometimes!). It would be a real good idea to have the battery load-tested for free at an auto parts store like NAPA, Autozone, or a place which sells batteries (Farm & Fleet/Fleet-Farm, etc). Does Walmart do battery tests?? Batteries/connections are a common source of odd flake-outs on these trucks, so don't overlook that. Moving on....It might not hurt to wiggle the bundle of wires beneath the fuse box. Just kind of move them around a bit...don't get too carried away. Just in case there's a bad connection down there. Make sure the fuses in the fusebox are pushed down. Then ...go to Youtube & read up on the WIN Modules. Most Chryslers have/had them which were often an issue, but can be a DIY fix. Do a search here for WIN Module issues.

Or, it's possible to have fuel/pump pressure issues too. There's a fuel pressure regulator down back by the brake booster (youtube that too!), and always a chance the fuel pump is getting flaky. Sometimes in general a failing fuel pump will run for a while, build up heat and flake-out from the heat and stall out. That's usually preceeded by some sputtering though (you didn't say anything about sputtering).

This is one of those deals where you want to check the battery, then do a computer scan ...hope something comes up. Then do a visual check, then try to isolate if it's electrical or fuel and procede from there.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

rlgdtime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you can drive to an Auto Parts Store, get your battery checked.
If not, take the battery & get it checked
You may want to put a charge on it first

A scan tool would likely show any trouble codes, once it is hooked up to your Rams OBD Port

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
not much info, don't read the fob, what does the dash say?
still have power on radio, gauges or everything turns off?
Will the starter work if you push the start button with the fob?

I have never had mine shut down, but a couple times IU have the truck not recognize the fob, so had to open the door with the key, but it always started if I used the fob to push the start button.
I have 8 speed and touchless entry .

One time I did not have the key in the fob with me and had to phone wife to bring me her fob after she was in bed, Only did the one time.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As stated above, there are a LOT of different things that could be going on. I recommend doing a little diagnostics work before just randomly replacing parts and hoping you get lucky. Especially a big component like the BCM. Sure, it could wind up being the issue but that is one of the last things I would be looking at. My first suspect would be a damaged wire, loose or corroded electrical connection, bad ground, etc....
What happens when the truck dies? Does the dash go out, do you get warning lights on the dash, radio and other controls like windshield wipers still work? If you just cycle the key does it always start right back up? Can you re-create the issue by jiggling the keys/ignition switch? Check for any stored codes.....I would be surprised that a truck would just randomly turn off and not have a code.